Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2780326 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10310 on: 24 May 2020, 11:08 »
Preparing the car for a deep interior clean, I decided to remove as many items as possible and purely in the interest of science decided to weigh them all and then take the car for a quick blast on my favourite loop. Surprised the total weight for all items was 53 kg which equates to approx 4% of total weigh based on my 3 door manual car with belvedere wheels.

Stripping the car was easy and took around 10 mins.

Spare wheel 14.3
Rear upper seat main section 15.0
Rear upper seat other 5.8
Seat bench 6.8
Jack and bits 4.4
Boot floor 3.0
Dynaudio 2.3
Parcel shelf 1.3

Driving impressions, a lot more noise was transmitted into the cabin. Car seemed a bit more responsive, especially in 4th gear for some reason. Most noticeable, the ride was more jiggly, presume due to the weight removed from the rear upsetting the standard suspension rates, as the CS is usually super smooth.

Will take it out again for an extended drive later in the week. Definitely worth doing in preparation for a track day.

Did you get your oil leak sorted okay?
« Last Edit: 24 May 2020, 13:14 by Watts »
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10311 on: 24 May 2020, 12:31 »
Surprised the total weight for all items was 53 kg which equates to approx 4% of total weigh based on my 3 door manual car with belvedere wheels.

Spare wheel 14.3
Seat bench 6.8
Jack and bits 4.4
Boot floor 3.0
Dynaudio 2.3
Parcel shelf 1.3

Driving impressions, a lot more noise was transmitted into the cabin. Car seemed a bit more responsive, especially in 4th gear for some reason. Most noticeable, the ride was more jiggly, presume due to the weight removed from the rear upsetting the standard suspension rates, as the CS is usually super smooth.

Will take it out again for an extended drive later in the week. Definitely worth doing in preparation for a track day.

Would it be worth removing the passenger seat for a track day as well, only four bolts although i'm not sure how the air bags are disconnected.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #10312 on: 24 May 2020, 15:30 »

[/quote]
[/quote]

I did Watts, thanks for asking. It was the rear main seal so gearbox out job. Bit disappointing as the car had only done 18000 when it was identified. Apparently it’s a common problem on these engines. They replaced some breather pipe work too, which may have been the cause.

I would urge everyone to look under their car before the warranty is up. I had no oil on my garage floor, it was collecting on the gearbox diff area and if it wasn’t for an eagle eyed MOT inspector I would have been none the wiser.

Now I can fit the bits you sold me!!
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #10313 on: 24 May 2020, 15:33 »
Surprised the total weight for all items was 53 kg which equates to approx 4% of total weigh based on my 3 door manual car with belvedere wheels.

Spare wheel 14.3
Seat bench 6.8
Jack and bits 4.4
Boot floor 3.0
Dynaudio 2.3
Parcel shelf 1.3

Would it be worth removing the passenger seat for a track day as well, only four bolts although i'm not sure how the air bags are disconnected.

Good idea! I am sure the airbag connections are straightforward. No plans on doing a track day at the moment though

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10314 on: 24 May 2020, 17:36 »

[/quote]

I did Watts, thanks for asking. It was the rear main seal so gearbox out job. Bit disappointing as the car had only done 18000 when it was identified. Apparently it’s a common problem on these engines. They replaced some breather pipe work too, which may have been the cause.

I would urge everyone to look under their car before the warranty is up. I had no oil on my garage floor, it was collecting on the gearbox diff area and if it wasn’t for an eagle eyed MOT inspector I would have been none the wiser.

[/quote]

Great outcome then! Did the short shifter turn up too? I was really pleased with the gearshift on mine when it was all set up, I do miss it. If you haven't already then I can recommend removing the assistor spring off the clutch pedal and a bump stop too. Some have removed the valve from the bleed box of the clutch hydraulics and say it improves things too but I didn't get around to that.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #10315 on: 24 May 2020, 21:41 »

[/quote]

Great outcome then! Did the short shifter turn up too? I was really pleased with the gearshift on mine when it was all set up, I do miss it. If you haven't already then I can recommend removing the assistor spring off the clutch pedal and a bump stop too. Some have removed the valve from the bleed box of the clutch hydraulics and say it improves things too but I didn't get around to that.
[/quote]

No short shifter yet, I need to kick my brother up the arse, he bought it in November!! Spring is removed and plan on removing the restrictor too. I’ll write up my findings when it’s done.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #10316 on: 26 May 2020, 16:56 »
Not sure who and can't find which thread it was on - but someone was interested in my VAG Sport res delete pipe?

Drop me a DM if it was you and are still interested  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #10317 on: 28 May 2020, 08:17 »
Preparing the car for a deep interior clean, I decided to remove as many items as possible and purely in the interest of science decided to weigh them all and then take the car for a quick blast on my favourite loop. Surprised the total weight for all items was 53 kg which equates to approx 4% of total weigh based on my 3 door manual car with belvedere wheels.

Spare wheel 14.3
Seat bench 6.8
Jack and bits 4.4
Boot floor 3.0
Dynaudio 2.3
Parcel shelf 1.3

Pretty good weight saving for not much time. As you say though it can sometimes upset the handling too due to where all those items reside. Good for Santa Pod if that's your thing lol.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #10318 on: 28 May 2020, 08:21 »

It would as the front seats do way some and it's only a couple of connection blocks as well as the 4 bolts to remove.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #10319 on: 28 May 2020, 08:32 »
Not sure who and can't find which thread it was on - but someone was interested in my VAG Sport res delete pipe?

Drop me a DM if it was you and are still interested  :smiley:

User wilxmiester started a thread about exhaust options so could be interested.