Author Topic: Tatty Corrado - holistic healing continues  (Read 78895 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Dirty black Corrado
« Reply #40 on: 30 October 2009, 21:55 »
That was the original plan, yes.

The Corrado has a more pressing need, so it gets the ABF now.

ABF motors aren't exactly high value.

This also gives me options.

If I want I can lift the head on the 9A and check the bores, send the head off to be breathed on by JP at JNL Racing, install ARP rod bolts, windage tray and baffled sump.

The Golf is a more suitable candidate for the 9A, as it's a short rod motor, so should be revvier.

Now who the hell makes the best tubular exhaust manifold to suit the Corrado?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #41 on: 31 October 2009, 08:33 »
I think the only manifolds for the valvers are the expensive ones as all the others don't fit due to the PAS rack.

Nick

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #42 on: 31 October 2009, 20:39 »
Know if the Miltek Golf2 16V tubular manifold fits?

Awesome apparently have the last five available.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #43 on: 31 October 2009, 23:20 »
I don't I'm afraid. Maybe worthwhile asking on the C forum.

nick

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Dirty black Corrado - holistic healing project
« Reply #44 on: 04 November 2009, 01:14 »
For reference, no one on the C Forum seems to have much more of an idea about the tubular manifold than Nick.  Hey ho, that'll be a voyage of discovery.

This evening has been a touch surreal.  T'other half was out on netball practice (or Deathball as it might more accurately be known - non-contact sport, my arse), so I was in on childcare duties until gone 21:30.  When she got in we talked around how clonky/vibey the car is at the moment (she used it for Deathball transport, to take other witches players to the session).  We talked about how it seemed to be rattling more since the dash ate a pair of her earrings last week ( :rolleyes:) and so, in a fit of lunacy (anyone else see the full moon tonight?) I said 'I'll go see if I can find them' and went off out to poke about with it.

Now, the issue isn't so much the earrings, it's more that something, somewhere isn't sitting right, since I fitted the G3 subframe, so things aren't 100% happy.  The subframe also didn't have the vibration damping weight on it, so I was wondering if that was the issue.  Also I hadn't been able to release the front mount to replace it when I replaced the rear mounts on the subframe, so maybe that was the issue......

So, to avoid the thorny problem of probably not being able to find the earrings from the depths of the dash - (I'm going to have to have it apart later this month, when Nick sends the Alpine microphone, across so I can get the handfree hooked back up, no pressure, Nick  :tongue:) I took the car up to an unbroken section of concrete in the farm yard here and set about sorting the engine mounts.... in the moonlight..... in a yard full of buses and coaches owned by the local bus company (they have space in our disused yard), with a tree-trimming lorry, a bobcat and an engineless Polizei T25 too, all bathed in moonlight.

Sometimes I think LED head torches are possibly the best thing in the whole world ever.  Tonight was one of those occasions.  If you don't have one, go get one, you WILL love it when working on your car.

So, rad cowling off - only 4 bolts - EASY!

Tough nut on the front engine mount released! Hurrah!

Then jack under one side of car, then jack under the engine, then ease jack on sill down, to lift engine, sit on front of car and pull out old (and properly shagged) front engine mount, swap in the new mount and jack the car back up, lowering the engine on to the new mount - sorted.  I also loosened the other two mounts and hercked the motor about a bit, to try and get it to sit nice on top of the mounts.

Now, while it was in the air I figured I should address the subframe weight issue, so I went to the container where my kit is and rummaged about until I found the right one (they are excellent blocks to use in the press!).  A quick scratch about in the misc bolts tub yielded the right bolts to bolt it up (and a replacement nut for the front engine mount), so that went on the car.  I also figured that the pair of jubilee clips on the o/s driveshaft probably weren't doing much, so I stripped them off.

After I'd put the tools back in the container I took the car out for a drive.  It is still vibrating things up a bit, but it's subsided a touch.  Replacing that final mount has also firmed things up a touch more, so the car feels tighter, too - not all bad.

I should have struts and other bits coming later this week and hopefully Saturday should see them fitted up (among other things) which might alleviate the vibes.  I did also notice one of the 'fingers' on the rear mount was on top of the casting it's supposed to be alongside of, so I'll sort that this weekend.  I suspect there's something somewhere which is just touching around the engine-exhaust-shell area.  If I can find it I should be able to resolve this problem with the vibes.

I've also now brimmed the tank, ready for an economy reading on the car, while it's running KE-Jet.  I don't think it'll be pretty, but we need it for comparison purposes.  :wink:

I will make it better, I will make it whole once more!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 04 November 2009, 07:18 »
excellent update DH... thought you had a workshop type affair?

funny about the dash!  :grin:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #46 on: 04 November 2009, 07:51 »
I just realised I missed out the punchline - I only took out the cowling when I got back from the test drive last night, couldn't find the earrings, lost heart and before I drive to work I need to put the cowling back in.... oops.

There's a long story about the workshop space.

I *do* have access to some space, but there are two issues with it:

1. the route to the entrance is blocked by one of these:

2. there's one of these in the middle of it:

So I need to ask 1. to stop leaving it in the way and I need to push 2. out of the way using this:

Haz toys, yis.

Need to sort them out, yis.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #47 on: 04 November 2009, 09:25 »
(I'm going to have to have it apart later this month, when Nick sends the Alpine microphone, across so I can get the handfree hooked back up, no pressure, Nick  :tongue:)

Was posted early last week mate.

Sound slike your getting stuck in with it, still enjoying the looks and the drive?

Nick

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #48 on: 04 November 2009, 14:44 »
(I'm going to have to have it apart later this month, when Nick sends the Alpine microphone, across so I can get the handfree hooked back up, no pressure, Nick  :tongue:)

Sound slike your getting stuck in with it, still enjoying the looks and the drive?

Nick

should be with you just in time for Christmas then DH  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #49 on: 04 November 2009, 14:49 »

Nick

should be with you just in time for Christmas then DH  :grin: :grin: :grin:

but what year  :laugh: :tongue: