Author Topic: Dsg problem?  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Kentdan

• Not said much yet
Dsg problem?
« on: 09 January 2020, 09:01 »
Hi everyone, new here and what better first post than a problem lol.
I got a mk7 gti pp a couple of months ago with 40k on the clock and a recent dsg service. About 2 weeks ago  when driving in eco it would hold second gear until like 3krpm like it does in sport. It only does it occasionally and was wondering if anyone else has had anything similar?
Another thing that happened the other day under hard acceleration was what can be described as a double click/clunk and the same happened when I broke hard. It happened a couple of times and could be felt in the footwell if that makes sense? I’m getting it looked at next week but was curious as to weather anyone else has had anything similar and what the issue was.
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. If not I’ll update once it’s been looked at.
Cheers everyone

Offline Kentdan

• Not said much yet
Re: Dsg problem?
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2020, 11:05 »
So had the car looked at this morning and the mechanic couldn’t find any problems with it. I’m thinking about getting an extended vw warranty for piece of mind. Has anybody on here got one/would recommend it?

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2020, 11:08 »
I'd recommend it 1000% it's paid for itself twice over.

Offline Kentdan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2020, 11:18 »
What cover did you go for? For the all parts covered it’s about £675 a year with no excess. What’s gone wrong with you car?

Offline Kentdan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2020, 11:41 »
I'd recommend it 1000% it's paid for itself twice over.
What cover did you go for? For the all parts covered it’s about £675 a year with no excess. What’s gone wrong with you car?

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2020, 11:56 »

The extended warranty was bought from new. Even at £675 I'd go for it.

I've had a new shock absorber, a problem with the suspension creaking, sunvisor rattle, key fob and it's in at the end of the month for the control arm bushes replacing. If it wasn't under warranty it would've cost a fortune.

Offline Kentdan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2020, 12:09 »

The extended warranty was bought from new. Even at £675 I'd go for it.

I've had a new shock absorber, a problem with the suspension creaking, sunvisor rattle, key fob and it's in at the end of the month for the control arm bushes replacing. If it wasn't under warranty it would've cost a fortune.
I’ll definitely look into it. My main concern is the gearbox and suspension really. What year is your car?

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2020, 13:04 »
Not sure exactly what you think was wrong with your car’s behaviour. Do you mean 3,000 rpm? That’s not huge revs and may be occurring just because the car is cold. The gearbox ecu takes good care of the ‘box and won’t let it do anything that could cause damage. I’d suggest you live with it for a while and see how it goes.

Having said that, I would be reluctant to live with a dsg ‘box without some sort of warranty cover. If things do go wrong, they can be horrendously expensive to repair.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Kentdan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2020, 13:22 »
Not sure exactly what you think was wrong with your car’s behaviour. Do you mean 3,000 rpm? That’s not huge revs and may be occurring just because the car is cold. The gearbox ecu takes good care of the ‘box and won’t let it do anything that could cause damage. I’d suggest you live with it for a while and see how it goes.

Having said that, I would be reluctant to live with a dsg ‘box without some sort of warranty cover. If things do go wrong, they can be horrendously expensive to repair.
Hi yes 3,000 rpm. It’s just normally it would change into 3rd a lot sooner than that point and just wasn’t sure if this is normal or not. I might just be being paranoid about it in all honesty but think I’ll get a warranty just in case