Author Topic: Left front door rattle  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Blaumann

• Not said much yet
Left front door rattle
« on: 07 January 2020, 20:38 »
I took my 68 reg 245 PP back to the dealer, VW Robinsons Stamford, for long-standing rattle rectification. I looked on this forum without success, for similar cases, it appeared to come from the left front door near the dash/glovebox. On the way there it rattled, then typically, Sod's Law,  wouldn't replicate it with a technician in the passenger seat.  They had it for 2 days, packed the door with foam and refitted the sun visor as per TPI.  The car was returned clean inside and out.The local road surfaces are rough, creating constant resonance and it seems quiet now. Very good service from the dealer, especially compared to previous Skoda dealer experience, when fault reporting,  Robinsons service desk was willing to listen and tackle a minor issue without any quibbles and they provided a 69 reg R line 1.5 TSI  Golf.

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
Re: Left front door rattle
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2020, 15:24 »
When you sat they packed the door with foam...what did they do exactly?
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2020, 16:24 »
Is it definitely the door ? I had a rattle that sounded like the passenger door but when I pushed the glove box door it stopped. I fixed it yesterday.
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2020, 19:05 »
My driver's door was rattling and winding me up on a recent 5 hour drive. Got home and forgot about it until it started again on my drive home from work a couple of days later. A good thump on the top of the door card prompted it and it sounded like it was coming from somewhere adjacent to the light switches. Got it sorted, it was my kagool's belt clip which was rattling inside the door pocket :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2020, 12:18 »
My passenger door, I think, rattles from where the ambient lighting is.

I've had it in once and they fixed a rattle from the driver's door. They said the speaker had actually shaken itself loose

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2020, 20:55 »
Is it definitely the door ? I had a rattle that sounded like the passenger door but when I pushed the glove box door it stopped. I fixed it yesterday.

I had this. Traced it to the little clip that the glovebox catch goes into. It was loose in the dash so with the weight of the glovebox lid it would rattle. Removed the little clip, wrapped insulation tape round it and put it back. Now doesn't move so no rattle  :smiley:

Offline Blaumann

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2020, 13:49 »

Yes it's the door, I have accidentally answered this twice.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2020, 14:06 by Blaumann »

Offline Blaumann

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2020, 13:54 »

Yes, I am confident that it was the door and the irritating rattle has gone. It came from where the top left lip of the dash met the top of the passenger front door.  I know that rattles are hard to trace, I suspected the glovebox, sunglass holder and sunvisir. The rattle was still present when I drove with the glivebox lid open and then with the sunglass holder and finally the sun visor down.

Offline Blaumann

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2020, 13:54 »
My driver's door was rattling and winding me up on a recent 5 hour drive. Got home and forgot about it until it started again on my drive home from work a couple of days later. A good thump on the top of the door card prompted it and it sounded like it was coming from somewhere adjacent to the light switches. Got it sorted, it was my kagool's belt clip which was rattling inside the door pocket :rolleyes:

:grin: Cheap fix then

Offline Blaumann

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2020, 14:07 »
When you sat they packed the door with foam...what did they do exactly?

Not sure. They mentioned that it was a VW fix and it has worked.