Author Topic: The CS-S delivery thread  (Read 68154 times)

Offline GT4

• GTI forum regular
Re: The CS-S delivery thread
« Reply #210 on: 03 December 2016, 21:49 »
They have a gas bonnet strut

What it does have is heated seats which I wasn't expecting, I'm well pleased, heated seats are all I wanted

I've been away at a Silverstone track day today in my Womans car so she took the Golf topick my Nipper up from School. She said it felt very wizzy  :rolleyes:but not planted like her M3 (F80). I said it'll be the track tyres not liking temps below 6 degs.

Pic for clarity, the wheels are a really nice shade of silver, only appreciated in the flesh I think

Hey Viper,  can you hunt for a ring setting in the driver MODEs?
Press MODE, select INDIVIDUAL then press SETUP.
Should be something in there relating to the DCC options

Again - I make my point about VW UK and the whole Dealer Network being a joke  ... to think a CS-S left the dealership and nobody knows or can show the owner how to find the Nurburgring setting, when it is the selling feature of the whole car .... the story just gets better with every day #YouCouldntWriteIt! #AttentionToDetail 😂

Is this today's rant?
Just because one dealer didn't show viper the ring mode doesn't make the whole dealer network a joke.

I did post a few days ago how I expect there to be some dubious experiences buying a special car from a manufacturer used to volume but let's wait for a bigger picture.

It's just something we are going to have to put up with if we want a relatively cheap iconic car as its their economies of scale that allow it to be created in the first place

Sorry Volks .... but if you consider spending a mere £34k and wasn't/don't know how the setting that makes the whole concept and branding relevant is no big deal then your expectations are somewhat ldifferent than mine - please, no offence intended ... this kind of lack of knowledge and worth is what drove me away from Audi and the RS badge and the BMW M badge - just a bunch of "Top Man" salesman showing absolutely no understanding, knowledge and/or appreciation for the badge/brand that pays their wages! The local VW Manager apologised to me about 3 months ago because of the lack of professionalism shown and understood my point and said that VW are not used to enthusiasts and the culture that they want/desire - he actually worked for Porsche for 10 years so understood my frustrations ... the CS-S is arguably the most iconic sports car VW have ever produced for the open market, so you would naturally think they would make an effort and pull all the stops out to get the whole package right and make the whole CS-S buying process feel as special as possible as they have managed to grab some clientele from competitive brands ... I know if I was the manager of a dealership and I had some CS-S cars coming through I would be liasing with VW uk and VW Germany to get every bit of plausible information I could get my hands on and feed that back to the client and make the whole process special and memorable for all the right reasons. One of my clients collected ferraris and was invited to maranello before the launch of a new car and was given a brief of the car and its characteristics and was naturally expected to place a deposit. Ok, we don't expect that level of detail from VW but this opportunity to highlight the brand and put it into the shop window of sports car enthusiasts has been lost and almost every single CS - S owner feels frustrated in some shape or form .... this is a tragedy as the engineers have done a great job developing what looks like a great car but the brand and network have not done their side of the bargain ... Let's hope and prey the car drives better than the purchase experience!

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #211 on: 03 December 2016, 21:49 »
The Recaro's (and practically 99% of the car) are the same in both CS variants so I can't imagine how they wouldn't be heated like in the standard CS. Perfectly reasonable that they are. Auto wipers, city stop and a few other things mentioned the same. They are on the CS so unless talking about heavy items (like the bigger head unit and Dynaudio Hi-Fi and sub) no reason why they shouldn't be on the CS-S as well.

That been said, VW dealer network is most probably (as I think GT4 wrote) completely clueless about the car. Even on that short vid I heard that salesman telling the future owner "it's like the CS but with a much much improved engine". Somebody tell that guy it is the same engine, the R engine, with a different map to make 5% more power as the codename (CJX-E/A/B) indicates (CJX = engine, last letter = ECU). Mine over here was no better when he told me the CS has a GTI engine but tuned to make more power. Of-course when (knowing already the answer) I asked how VW (and not the tuner around the block) seriously decided to stretch to 290bhp from a 230bhp GTI engine with only a remap he was also a bit confused...

But if I'm right in understanding that UK CS-S have lost the black roof and black Pretorias without previous notice that's pretty shameful and only proves VW's inability to handle sports specials. So a 3-door CS with the black roof and wheels will look meaner (I'd say better but that's subjective) than a CS-S, well-done... Of-course it's treatable but it just shows (and it hurts me to say but I didn't expect any better) that they are far better pushing diesel Passats.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2016, 21:51 by scanesare »

Offline GT4

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #212 on: 03 December 2016, 22:11 »
The Recaro's (and practically 99% of the car) are the same in both CS variants so I can't imagine how they wouldn't be heated like in the standard CS. Perfectly reasonable that they are. Auto wipers, city stop and a few other things mentioned the same. They are on the CS so unless talking about heavy items (like the bigger head unit and Dynaudio Hi-Fi and sub) no reason why they shouldn't be on the CS-S as well.

That been said, VW dealer network is most probably (as I think GT4 wrote) completely clueless about the car. Even on that short vid I heard that salesman telling the future owner "it's like the CS but with a much much improved engine". Somebody tell that guy it is the same engine, the R engine, with a different map to make 5% more power as the codename (CJX-E/A/B) indicates (CJX = engine, last letter = ECU). Mine over here was no better when he told me the CS has a GTI engine but tuned to make more power. Of-course when (knowing already the answer) I asked how VW (and not the tuner around the block) seriously decided to stretch to 290bhp from a 230bhp GTI engine with only a remap he was also a bit confused...

But if I'm right in understanding that UK CS-S have lost the black roof and black Pretorias without previous notice that's pretty shameful and only proves VW's inability to handle sports specials. So a 3-door CS with the black roof and wheels will look meaner (I'd say better but that's subjective) than a CS-S, well-done... Of-course it's treatable but it just shows (and it hurts me to say but I didn't expect any better) that they are far better pushing diesel Passats.

Yep ... I also picked the "engine" remark up but didn't want to mention it ... as I have said - the engineers have built a great car that kicks ass round the Nurburgring but VW and VW uk and the dealer Netrork have not got a clue..!! I am sure the VW officials on this site find it difficult to defend such ridiculous communication and delivery

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #213 on: 03 December 2016, 22:44 »
Yep ... I also picked the "engine" remark up but didn't want to mention it ... as I have said - the engineers have built a great car that kicks ass round the Nurburgring but VW and VW uk and the dealer Netrork have not got a clue..!! I am sure the VW officials on this site find it difficult to defend such ridiculous communication and delivery

Wasn't even aware of the roof and wheels issue until an hour ago, that's a joke full-stop and it's pretty understandable if it becomes a deal-breaker for some. I'm very particular about the car paint and wheels and most of my cars I just wouldn't have them in any other combo (in fact I usually go as far as thinking them to be less attractive when not in the paint and wheels I opted for).

Adding to a miserable pre-order/delivery process and how much (correct) information was being shared by salesmen and it sure enough becomes an issue for people wanting a proper sports special buying experience.

However, if driving feel is indeed your top priority all this should be forgettable when you pick it up.

PS. Be prepared that it can get worse. For example, the first time someone working in the car industry and supposedly knowledgeable (for example a VW mechanic in a VW dealership  :whistle:) sees it and thinks it's a standard GTI... (based on a true story)
« Last Edit: 03 December 2016, 22:48 by scanesare »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #214 on: 03 December 2016, 23:44 »
Not one car salesman in any garage in the uk actually knows 100% what they are selling so it's not just the vw network that's like this. Each car I've bought I've always known much more about the car than any of the salesman I've bought off because I've researched and done homework on what I'm buying. Never ever trust anything a car salesman tells you and anyone who does is an idiot for doing so!!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline volkswizard

• Here all the time
« Reply #215 on: 04 December 2016, 08:05 »

Wasn't even aware of the roof and wheels issue until an hour ago, that's a joke full-stop and it's pretty understandable if it becomes a deal-breaker for some. I'm very particular about the car paint and wheels and most of my cars I just wouldn't have them in any other combo (in fact I usually go as far as thinking them to be less attractive when not in the paint and wheels I opted for).

Unless I am massively mistaken, when we expressed an interest in this vehicle (i.e. before the order books opened on 1/8) the spec hadn't been finalised so colour of roof and wheels were unknown.

What we did know was that the record car had a body colour roof and silver wheels, just like the UK cars coming through now.

For those who had a choice of colour (not me), 3 colours isn't exactly a massive choice and for me and funnily enough GT4 we didn't get any choice at all so if we'd been fussy about colours we probably wouldn't have been buying this car - after all it's all about the driving, or at least it should be otherwise not sure why anyone would order it (apart from speculators of course)...
« Last Edit: 04 December 2016, 08:07 by volkswizard »

Offline volkswizard

• Here all the time
« Reply #216 on: 04 December 2016, 08:50 »

Sorry Volks .... but if you consider spending a mere £34k and wasn't/don't know how the setting that makes the whole concept and branding relevant is no big deal then your expectations are somewhat ldifferent than mine - please, no offence intended ... this kind of lack of knowledge and worth is what drove me away from Audi and the RS badge and the BMW M badge - just a bunch of "Top Man" salesman showing absolutely no understanding, knowledge and/or appreciation for the badge/brand that pays their wages! The local VW Manager apologised to me about 3 months ago because of the lack of professionalism shown and understood my point and said that VW are not used to enthusiasts and the culture that they want/desire - he actually worked for Porsche for 10 years so understood my frustrations ... the CS-S is arguably the most iconic sports car VW have ever produced for the open market, so you would naturally think they would make an effort and pull all the stops out to get the whole package right and make the whole CS-S buying process feel as special as possible as they have managed to grab some clientele from competitive brands ... I know if I was the manager of a dealership and I had some CS-S cars coming through I would be liasing with VW uk and VW Germany to get every bit of plausible information I could get my hands on and feed that back to the client and make the whole process special and memorable for all the right reasons. One of my clients collected ferraris and was invited to maranello before the launch of a new car and was given a brief of the car and its characteristics and was naturally expected to place a deposit. Ok, we don't expect that level of detail from VW but this opportunity to highlight the brand and put it into the shop window of sports car enthusiasts has been lost and almost every single CS - S owner feels frustrated in some shape or form .... this is a tragedy as the engineers have done a great job developing what looks like a great car but the brand and network have not done their side of the bargain ... Let's hope and prey the car drives better than the purchase experience!

Previously you said you can't compare the CS-S to a GT4 and yet you continue to compare VW with Porsche albeit this time with the dealer network and now you top that with a reference to Ferrari of all things.

The big difference between VW and Porsche (and Ferrari) is profit margins, the retailer make bugger all per car compared to that of Porsche and I am sure Ferrari.  Therefore your sale really has little impact on the salesman's take home pay and the retailer's bottom line and therefore the time they can spend on a CSS handover is minimal.

Imagine all the bewildering options and functions of a new car, even a relatively basic car like a Golf that sales people have to be up to speed on, do you really think that the salesman will feel the need or have the time to get into the peculiarities of a car he will never see another of, especially when he's selling in most cases to people who know more than he will ever know? This isn't ideal or right but is human nature.

Couple that with the impact of dieselgate and I am not really surprised that there is no budget for pre or post handover surprise and delight communications like invitations to this and that or glossy brochures although it would of course have been nice. I was surprised however when I heard this car had actually survived the post dieselgate product cull and was going to make it to production and if that's at the expense of all the other bits and pieces you are expecting then so be it.

When the R32 was launched, buyers were invited to VW Racing Cup events including hospitality, I just get the feeling there is nobody there to organise this stuff any more and more to the point, no budget.

What we should be grateful for is the sterling work of the VW UK Press Office headed by Mike Orford (who GT4 will be intrigued to know used to be until quite recently the head of PR for....Porsche Cars GB).  They have systematically raised the profile of the CSS even though it's solely being used as a halo car for the rest of the range as however much copy it produces, VW wont sell another but it's done a great job of increasing interest and quite clearly creating some sort of 'overs' market...for a bloody Golf!!  Funnily enough almost exactly the same happened to the sold out Cayman GT4 just a year earlier...

However as a result of this buzz it's easy to think the Press Office's enthusiasm will filter right through to the handover process and that's where reality may not match expectations.

I've got previous form as I had one of the first customer Mk7 Golf Rs (also a special car for VW, well before they started to give them away) and that experience made me swear to never buy another new VW but I figured the CSS was so special that even if everything else didn't go too well, they could never undo the amazing work of the engineers who were headed by a man who used to work for......errr....PORSCHE!
« Last Edit: 04 December 2016, 10:48 by volkswizard »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #217 on: 04 December 2016, 08:59 »
I personally don't think it's unrealistic for a salesperson to know what they are selling and what functions it does. To me it shows they actually give a s4it what they are selling to us customers. Also in this day and age especially on cars the same equipment appears on various models throughout the range so it's not that much of a hardship to actually learn what these things do.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline vipergts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #218 on: 04 December 2016, 09:02 »

Unless I am massively mistaken, when we expressed an interest in this vehicle (i.e. before the order books opened on 1/8) the spec hadn't been finalised so colour of roof and wheels were unknown.

What we did know was that the record car had a body colour roof and silver wheels, just like the UK cars coming through now.

For those who had a choice of colour (not me), 3 colours isn't exactly a massive choice and for me and funnily enough GT4 we didn't get any choice at all so if we'd been fussy about colours we probably wouldn't have been buying this car - after all it's all about the driving, or at least it should be otherwise not sure why anyone would order it (apart from speculators of course)...

Exactly, if they'd told us no black roof or wheels from the off how many of you would have still bought?

I absolutely would have

Offline volkswizard

• Here all the time
« Reply #219 on: 04 December 2016, 09:12 »
I personally don't think it's unrealistic for a salesperson to know what they are selling and what functions it does. To me it shows they actually give a s4it what they are selling to us customers. Also in this day and age especially on cars the same equipment appears on various models throughout the range so it's not that much of a hardship to actually learn what these things do.

Sure, the salesman I have no doubt will know the bits that are common to all Golfs, no excuse for not knowing that, but 'ring mode is a bit different.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2016, 09:15 by volkswizard »