Author Topic: Recommend me some cleaning products!  (Read 8828 times)

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Recommend me some cleaning products!
« Reply #10 on: 21 April 2008, 20:32 »
Some brilliant replies! Detailingworld.co.uk comes highly recommended for any questions.

There are some brilliant guides here, Polished Bliss. I have a formidable collection of cleaning products, but all generic off the shelf stuff - I only grabbed some good stuff recently. I cleaned my car recently...

Washing the car, strangely enough, Tesco's Pink Car Shampoo gets a MASSIVE thumbs up from the cleaning world. For the price of it, it definitely produces good results. I've got Autoglym Shampoo and Conditioner and don't really like it - not many suds and doesn't feel like its doing anything, even when mixed very rich.

Depending on the state of the paint, your going to need to go through a pretty thorough routine. I clayed my car for the first time the other day, and it is DEFINITELY recommended, the feel of the paint is unbelievable. Following some advice, I get the Meguairs Quik Clay Kit as its easy to work for beginners and not very abrasive.

For polish, Autoglym SRP gets the best reviews for hand polishing. If there is swirl marks, deep scratches or marring - your going to need a more abrasive polish, such as Farecla G3 cutting compound or Meguairs #86. They take a bit of practice and getting used to - so try to practice on a spare panel or somewhere discreet.

For wax, Collinite get the best rep for long lasting and hard wearing but it won't necessarily provide the best deepest shine. I've used the cheap Turtle waxes and don't make much of it - and it has a lot of dust. The Meguairs 3 stage doesn't actually get raving reviews among the detailing world - its good, but you can get a better mix of products that bond better with each other and produce a better finish.

For wheel cleaning - use a stiff brush, try and avoid very acidic/alkaline cleaners as they can damage the lacquer or chrome finishes. Old clay can be used to dissolve tar spots and clean up the wheels (and windows!).

In terms of apparatus you need, jump down to B&Q and get 2 buckets. You'll need a nice deep pile lambswool washmit to stop scratch and swirl marks that a sponge usually creates. And when you're applying polish - a damp sponge is what you use. For wax, use a damp cotton cloth wrapped into a ball. For buffing off both you're best using a Microfibre towel - same stuff you use to dry the car. I cheaped out and bought a bag of 20 microfibre towels for about £5 from my local wholesaler, 3 towels dry the entire car bone dry. Then I use a towel to dry quick detailer, buff off wax and polish.

Blah blah blah - I could go on all day, but everyone is going to have their own opinion of what to get, but the combination of products I use tends to get a good review from detailer's for adhesion and finish. I use, Farecla G3 (only for deep scratches), Meguairs Quik Clay kit, Autoglym SRP, Collinite 476s - I bought all mine off eBay (seemed to be the best prices), the seller Detailed Obsession got me my stuff next day with a little letter explaining how to get the best results out of a product - was well chuffed.
« Last Edit: 22 April 2008, 13:08 by Ben Lessani »

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #11 on: 21 April 2008, 23:46 »
Thanks for the replies guys. But now I'm left a little worse for wearl lol!

I'm still not sure about everything I should go for...how about this, I'll say I've got £50, someone link me to all the various bits and pieces I need based on my budget, whoever does it I'll love you  :grin:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 22 April 2008, 00:24 »
here's my effort... decided that the lime prime and the trim detailer were unnecessary as you have green bumpers and the lime prime can be a treat to yourself once you get hooked and want better results!

Eurow 100% Sheepskin 2 in 1 Wash Mitt
      Ã‚£6.49
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=143

Collinite #476s Paste Wax Detailing Kit
      Ã‚£18.49
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=400

Meguiars Quik (Mist & Wipe) Detailer
      Ã‚£6.99
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=36

Bilt Hambler Autowash    
      Ã‚£8.95
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=421

Eurow Medium Waffle Weave Microfibre Drying Towel - 17" x 24"
      Ã‚£4.99
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=267

Sonus Green Ultra Fine Detailing Clay - Quantity 1 bar
      Ã‚£6.99
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=363{7}77

£52.90

FREE SHIPPING FOR ORDERS OVER £60 so you might as well get something else...

either..

swap the collinite kit for this better one...

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=402

and add this applicator pad

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=402

= £60.36

or...

keep the original suggestion of a cheaper collinte wax, remove the applicator and add a non-caustic wheel cleaner to keep your rims shiny?
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=93

total: £60.89

so my final suggestion...

1 x    Eurow 100% Sheepskin 2 in 1 Wash Mitt
1 x    Meguiars Quik (Mist & Wipe) Detailer
1 x    Bilt Hambler Autowash
1 x    Eurow Medium Waffle Weave Microfibre Drying Towel - 17" x 24"
1 x    Sonus Green Ultra Fine Detailing Clay
1 x    Collinite #476s Paste Wax Detailing Kit
1 x    Muc-Off Wheel Cleaner
£60.89

you're getting quite a lot for your bucks there I think... you'll need two buckets on top of this

whatever you get it won't be enough once you get into it... there will always be the next wax to try, the next polish, the next something or rather....  :smiley:

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #13 on: 22 April 2008, 00:29 »
Thank you very much for them suggestons man, I love you  :tongue:

I'll make up the extra money by adding a trim detailer...as I have black trim around the bottom of the car...which to go for though...? lol!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 22 April 2008, 00:36 »
i love you too sweetie... now can we get back to cleaning cars?  :smiley:

1 x    Eurow 100% Sheepskin 2 in 1 Wash Mitt
1 x    Meguiars Quik (Mist & Wipe) Detailer
1 x    Autowash
1 x    Eurow Medium Waffle Weave Microfibre Drying Towel - 17" x 24"
1 x    Sonus Green Ultra Fine Detailing Clay
1 x    Collinite #476s Paste Wax Detailing Kit
1 x    Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer
2 x    Sonus Foam Applicator Pad
£60.89

the megs is a good trim detailer as it is non that silicony... you will need an applicator for this too... and you might as well have a spare as you will start going through these

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=41

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #15 on: 22 April 2008, 00:49 »
Cheers babe  :smiley:

Just one last thing, what do I use to lubricate the clay?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #16 on: 22 April 2008, 08:22 »
The Quik Detailer :afro:

Offline Cornish Pixie

• Not said much yet
  • If I'm not on line I am polishing somebody's ride
« Reply #17 on: 22 April 2008, 09:25 »
Guys,
Don't forget that to get a good deep shine you will need to add in a good polish to the lists given above.

Wax is a last stage protection product which will be fine on paint that is minty mint and not at all aged. Even the very best waxes do not perform well if they are applied to a surface that has not been properly prepared with clay AND a good polish.

If the cars paint is not minty mint you will need to clay to remove any bonded on contaminents and then follow the clay process with a good polish to produce the shine that the wax will then protect and enhance.

As has been said Auto Glym Super Resin Polish can give good results if you invest the time in learning how to use it properly and Lime Prime is excellent if pricey. For what its worth I think Farecla G3 can give a good result but can be difficult to work with and is possibly a little outdated now.   

If the paint on the car has any swirling it could be worth going for Bilt Hamber paste wax as this has really good swirl masking properties and some added corrosion inhibitors.

Mark
www.kcpv.co.uk
www.karlssoncollins.com

Professional Valeting And Detailing

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
« Reply #18 on: 22 April 2008, 13:13 »
I would compile a different package...but I'm at work and don't have time to type up a big list, but I will when I get home ;)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 22 April 2008, 16:02 »
Guys,
Don't forget that to get a good deep shine you will need to add in a good polish to the lists given above.

Wax is a last stage protection product which will be fine on paint that is minty mint and not at all aged. Even the very best waxes do not perform well if they are applied to a surface that has not been properly prepared with clay AND a good polish.

If the cars paint is not minty mint you will need to clay to remove any bonded on contaminents and then follow the clay process with a good polish to produce the shine that the wax will then protect and enhance.

As has been said Auto Glym Super Resin Polish can give good results if you invest the time in learning how to use it properly and Lime Prime is excellent if pricey. For what its worth I think Farecla G3 can give a good result but can be difficult to work with and is possibly a little outdated now.   

If the paint on the car has any swirling it could be worth going for Bilt Hamber paste wax as this has really good swirl masking properties and some added corrosion inhibitors.

Mark

and there speaks the voice of reason... what this man don't know ain't worth knowing!  :wink:

i wanted to include lime prime but it kept blowing the budget!  :laugh: