Author Topic: Traffic Jam Assist  (Read 7203 times)

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
Traffic Jam Assist
« on: 23 March 2019, 01:39 »
Hi, I do a lot of driving in traffic so the Traffic Jam Assist function has always appealed.
I thought Traffic Jam Assist in the Golf was just ACC and Lane Assist working in tandem to brake/accelerate and steer.
The GTI now comes with Lane Assist as well as ACC in the standard spec. So does this give me Traffic Jam Assist?
The configurator doesn't list explicitly in the standard spec sheet. However it does list Traffic Jam Assist explicitly in the now cheaper Lane Assist Plus option.
What's confusing me is that I can't see what's in Lane Assist Plus over the free Lane Assist that would give me this function.
The configurator doesn't give much info and isn't very helpful.
Does anyone know if I have to spec the Lane Assist Plus to get this?

Thanks

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Traffic Jam Assist
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2019, 08:19 »
According to page 43 of the latest price list brochure, the Dynamic Light Assist option available on the GTI, GTD, GTE Advance and R models gives you Traffic Jam Assist. Link to brochure below;

https://origin.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/pdf/pricelists/golf-pricelist.pdf
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2019, 13:20 »
Thanks, but page 40 shows you get Dynamic Light assist as standard. It just doesn't mention traffic jam assist. Maybe the they've just disabled it unless you stump up for the lane assist plus.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2019, 17:19 »
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/proximity-sensing/traffic-jam-assist

Thanks, very helpful. I'm guessing the traffic jam assist listed as an option then is the v1.5. Not sure that's worth the extra money though so will stick with the standard.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2019, 11:14 »
What's confusing me is that I can't see what's in Lane Assist Plus over the free Lane Assist that would give me this function.
Plus has the 'side scan' for lane changing and blind spot etc

The GTI now comes with Lane Assist as well as ACC in the standard spec. So does this give me Traffic Jam Assist?
Nope.

On the GTE/GTD/GTI/R 'Traffic Jam Assist' is not standard, it is only available as part of the 'Plus' pack which gives you:

- Dynamic Light Assist
- Emergency Assist
- Rear Traffic Alert
- Side scan
- Traffic Jam Assist
- Traffic Sign Recognition

The pack is £575 and is available on DSG models only.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2019, 11:18 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2019, 14:53 »
My March 2019 GTI has the following and I didn’t spec them as extras:

- Dynamic Light Assist YES
- Emergency Assist YES
- Rear Traffic Alert NO
- Side scan NO
- Traffic Jam Assist YES
- Traffic Sign Recognition YES

I also find VWs spec list utterly bewildering. Audi’s configurator is far easier to understand. Having said that, everything is a £1000 optional extra with Audi 🤣
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2019, 15:02 »
My March 2019 GTI has the following and I didn’t spec them as extras:

- Dynamic Light Assist YES
- Emergency Assist YES
- Rear Traffic Alert NO
- Side scan NO
- Traffic Jam Assist YES
- Traffic Sign Recognition YES

I also find VWs spec list utterly bewildering. Audi’s configurator is far easier to understand. Having said that, everything is a £1000 optional extra with Audi 🤣
Your MY19 doesn't have Traffic Jam Assist, it has as standard (free) a pack consisting of;

Lane Assist
Dynamic Light Assist
Traffic Sign Recognition.

From MY19 (build week 51 onwards) the pack became standard (free) on the GTE/GTD/GTI/R, all other Golf models it's an option and costs £650.

The 'plus' pack adds Traffic Jam Assist and Side Assist, the 'plus' pack is £575 for the GTE/GTD/GTI/R.

There are two other packs available for the Golf, at £1120 and £1225, but they aren't available or applicable to the GTE/GTD/GTI/R.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2019, 15:04 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2019, 15:15 »
Ok, but presumably if you have ACC switched on and come to a full stop, start/stop stops the engine then when the car in front pulls away it starts it again (without taking your foot off the brake pedal) and then (I’m assuming) it would engage ACC and crawl forward. So how is this different to Traffic Jam Assist? Or doesn’t ACC work below a certain speed.

On a similar note I’m considering switching off Lane Assist. I drove around a car which was in the centre of the road and turning right, and the car tried to correct me but merely pointed me straight at the turning car again. Slightly disconcerting. Yes I know I could have indicated left but then cars coming from the left hand junction would have thought I was turning left as opposed to going around the car that was turning off.

It’s all clever tech but not really necessary. It’s  just refining driverless car technologies in real world usage scenarios.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2019, 15:35 »
Ok, but presumably if you have ACC switched on and come to a full stop, start/stop stops the engine then when the car in front pulls away it starts it again (without taking your foot off the brake pedal) and then (I’m assuming) it would engage ACC and crawl forward. So how is this different to Traffic Jam Assist? Or doesn’t ACC work below a certain speed.

ACC works in conjunction with stop/start, but once the car has been brought to a halt by the system, you need to touch the accelerator again to move off. Lane Assist also only works at speeds over 40mph.

Traffic Jam Assist adds to both the ACC function and Lane Assist function, by allowing LA and ACC to work together in slow moving traffic (hence the name). With TJA you can sit stationary for 10-15secs before the car applies the brake.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2019, 15:48 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021