Author Topic: Is the Mk 7.5 Golf GTI the best hot hatch you’ve owned ?  (Read 7496 times)

Offline NewbieGTIP

• Not said much yet
  • If it ain’t broke..... it probably soon will be.
Re: Is the Mk 7.5 Golf GTI the best hot hatch you’ve owned ?
« Reply #10 on: 22 March 2019, 18:27 »
Tough one...

Best all rounder? Yes, definitely. Comfy and relaxing on a run, Still reasonable fun on the twisties, quick(ish), decent loadspace - loads of plusses, but...

Most fun hot hatch I've owned? Nope. Previous hot hatch experience has been with Astra's. Firstly an Mk4 SRI 190 Turbo which was (in my opinion) more fun to drive "in a spirited fashion". This was followed by a Stage 1.5 Mk5 VXR running close to 300BHP and this was like the SRi Turbo turned up to 11. People slated the handling but it just made it so entertaining to drive, whereas the Mk7 GTI (even with the tuning box on it) is very very good, but lacks that little bit of involvement that's required when the car has the tendency to be a little bit wayward.

That analogy almost feels like some people quote when they compare the GTI to the R. People find the R very very good, but some feel it lacks as much involvement as driving the GTI does - maybe?

I had a SRI 190, did you not find the understeer a little lethal during the spirited driving?
#330 Gti Clubsport.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 22 March 2019, 19:18 »
Best hot hatch of all time... “ not my words..the words of Top Gear Magazine “- as Mr Partridge would say.
 ( well it was Autocar actually)
I loved my 205 but this is the better car.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 22 March 2019, 19:41 »
I've not got a 7.5 and my 7 is the only hot hatch I've had (I'm not counting my early 80s Alfa Sprint which was a hatch but not really a "hatchback" as such and although very zippy and great fun to drive, not that hot...) so it has to be the best albeit without much of a frame of reference. Still, a great car indeed :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Bullfinch

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 22 March 2019, 19:56 »
Mk7.5 GTI PP is very good but my best VW performance car was my VW Corrado VR6 Storm. Fitted 263 cams, remap and better brakes that transformed it into a great car. My tag line shows the best car I currently own.
Daily: Mk7.5 GTi PP DSG, Weekend: 911 997 Gen 2 Carrera 4S

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2019, 03:46 »
I thought my mk5 Golf GTI was a better "hot hatch" than my 7.5 GTI.  Better steering, engine response and feeling of involvement.  But as an all-rounder the 7.5 is way out in front.  Brilliant car.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Zermatt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 23 March 2019, 11:23 »
Some great hot hatches mentioned above, of the ones I’ve had I would say the Fiesta ST M-Sport was the most fun it hooked up into bends brilliantly and changed direction on a B road with a huge amount of confidence. But with its rally inspired stripes and exhaust it was not a very subtle looking car.

The MkV GTI was an excellent all rounder , composed on French Autoroutes and could cover decent distances in a day when I was living abroad with it - not many downsides to that car- I think the Mk7 is  an iteration of that car- and as of yet the only downside I see is in comparison to the Mk V it feels a lot wider.

The 306 Xsi was warm rather than a hot hatch but the control of the chassis was really well judged - not the most reliable unfortunately.

« Last Edit: 23 March 2019, 11:27 by Zermatt »
2018 |Isaac Blue GTI| 3 Door |Manual |Art Velour| Bresicas
2018 | Alpine A110 Premiere Edition
2005 | Graphite Blue Mk V GTi- long gone but not forgotten

Offline Zermatt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 23 March 2019, 11:26 »
Mk7.5 GTI PP is very good but my best VW performance car was my VW Corrado VR6 Storm. Fitted 263 cams, remap and better brakes that transformed it into a great car. My tag line shows the best car I currently own.

The Gen 2 997 is one  of my favourite 911 models.. can’t really go wrong with them .. had 4 very happy years with a Gen 2 4S.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2019, 11:28 by Zermatt »
2018 |Isaac Blue GTI| 3 Door |Manual |Art Velour| Bresicas
2018 | Alpine A110 Premiere Edition
2005 | Graphite Blue Mk V GTi- long gone but not forgotten

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #17 on: 23 March 2019, 11:55 »
I cannot really coment as I don't own one  :huh: but i have driven many now. For me a hothatch needs to be smaller the golf just got too wide and long for it to be my favourite hothatch but thats a personal thing. I don't feel as confident on some of the back roads due to its sheer size. Its bigger than a mk2 cavalier was for example
« Last Edit: 23 March 2019, 11:58 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 23 March 2019, 21:43 »
I cannot really coment as I don't own one  :huh: but i have driven many now. For me a hothatch needs to be smaller the golf just got too wide and long for it to be my favourite hothatch but thats a personal thing. I don't feel as confident on some of the back roads due to its sheer size. Its bigger than a mk2 cavalier was for example

I’m afraid I agree with that (and also don’t own a 7.5 GTI specifically).

Too big, too heavy, too loaded with pointless toys and useless menus.

However I’d say it was the best hot hatch on sale right now.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 24 March 2019, 06:43 »
. Its bigger than a mk2 cavalier was for example

Is it really? Blimey. I had an SRI 130. I loved that, but rose tinted glasses and all that. I had to work hard to keep up with GTIs and XR3is.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.