What do you feed your GTI?

Supermarket 95
Branded 95
Supermarket ‘Super’ 97/98
Branded ‘Super’ 97/98
Tesco Momentum 99
Shell V-Power 99
Costco 99

Author Topic: Fuel choice  (Read 5202 times)

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
Re: Fuel choice
« Reply #10 on: 02 February 2019, 23:01 »
V Power predominantly due to location, Momentum otherwise - nothing else since new!
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 03 February 2019, 23:56 »
Haven’t got my GTI yet but currently driving an Audi so I voted based on that. I generally just buy fuel from
the nearest station when I actually need some. I don’t seek out the cheapest but I will drive past any which are taking the pi$$ (mostly BP on dual carriageways). In the Audi I can’t say I notice any difference between supermarket and branded petrol. However 10+ years ago I had an Astra SRi and that really didn’t like supermarket fuel. It used to miss and stutter but was fine on Shell or BP 95RON. It was only six months old too, so not an old banger. No such issues in any of the cars I’ve owned since.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 22 March 2019, 19:37 »
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline NewbieGTIP

• Not said much yet
  • If it ain’t broke..... it probably soon will be.
« Reply #13 on: 22 March 2019, 19:42 »
I’m basing this on my S3 so the GTI May be different but I always use Tesco momentum now, my S3 used to burn through V power so I solely use Tesco now, cheaper and it responded better to it. I can’t recall the last time I up a 95 pump

#330 Gti Clubsport.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 24 March 2019, 15:12 »
2000 miles on the clock now, so I've had a chance to fully test V-Power 99 and Tesco Momentum 99. My conclusion, FWIW:

The Golf feels more responsive and sounds much angrier when it's running on the Tesco 99, and of course it's 5-10p a litre cheaper than V-Power 99. But... with Tesco 99 you lose the cleaning properties of the V-Power.

Horses for course I suppose.  :huh:

SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 24 March 2019, 15:19 »
2000 miles on the clock now, so I've had a chance to fully test V-Power 99 and Tesco Momentum 99. My conclusion, FWIW:

The Golf feels more responsive and sounds much angrier when it's running on the Tesco 99, and of course it's 5-10p a litre cheaper than V-Power 99. But... with Tesco 99 you lose the cleaning properties of the V-Power.

Horses for course I suppose.  :huh:

Cleaning properties which are presumably also absent from the standard unleaded that I use. So for me Tesco Momentum could be a nice compromise. Although I’m in a minority and would actually prefer my GTI to be just a tad quieter if anything. Not louder lol.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2019, 16:07 by Mutley75 »

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 24 March 2019, 15:45 »
the standard unleaded that I use
I've always subscribed to the theory that the RON rating on the cap is the 'minimum', not the recommended, so yes the GTI will run fine on 95, but it'll run better (more efficiently and responsive) on a higher octane.

VW's website even says so for the GTI/R...

Try a few tanks of 99 and see what you think.

I'm tempted to try a few tanks of 95 to see if I can notice a difference as I have done with previous cars.

:smiley:
« Last Edit: 24 March 2019, 15:47 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 24 March 2019, 16:17 »
the standard unleaded that I use
I've always subscribed to the theory that the RON rating on the cap is the 'minimum', not the recommended, so yes the GTI will run fine on 95, but it'll run better (more efficiently and responsive) on a higher octane.

VW's website even says so for the GTI/R...

Try a few tanks of 99 and see what you think.

I'm tempted to try a few tanks of 95 to see if I can notice a difference as I have done with previous cars.

:smiley:

Shall do. I’ve only filled up once since I bought it and now have 75 miles left on the range so I’ll be filling up again either tomorrow night or Tuesday morning. I’ll give Tesco 99 a try and will report back with my findings.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 26 March 2019, 20:56 »
Annoyingly I was almost empty and had to fill up at the nearest station which accepted Apple Pay as I'd forgotten my wallet.  Ended up filling up at Sainsburys with 95RON standard I'm afraid.  I'll try again next time...!

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 26 March 2019, 21:46 »
Annoyingly I was almost empty and had to fill up at the nearest station which accepted Apple Pay as I'd forgotten my wallet.  Ended up filling up at Sainsburys with 95RON standard I'm afraid.  I'll try again next time...!

I would have put a fiver in, just enough to get me home, pick up my wallet, then go and fill up with momentum99  :rolleyes: