Author Topic: Cheap hid conversions  (Read 4899 times)

Offline garfayliu

• Here all the time
Re: Cheap hid conversions
« Reply #20 on: 09 May 2007, 12:09 »
As I said earlier I am more than happy with my twins on dipped and most times I dont even bother to switch to main!

Likewise I wouldnt buy the cheap versions of twins, which are not as good as Hella's.

yea what do the Chinks know about driving? so why is the quality going to be any good?
haha... yeh, i likey my hella celis/projector headlights too, hids only came into the equation when the price sounded affordable for a cheap upgrade, but, back to the old statement, why fix something if it aint broke.

i'm a chink and i drive a mk3 16v. i could go on for ages to answer your other question, but can't won't bother atm.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #21 on: 09 May 2007, 12:15 »
Yea I knew you were! But Hong Kong Chinese?
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline garfayliu

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 09 May 2007, 12:18 »
yeh  :tongue: you're not stalking me are ya?

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #23 on: 09 May 2007, 12:25 »
I happen to know quite a few HK chinese.
Likewise South Africans/Rhodesians that have fled over to the Mother country! :laugh:

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Scooterist007

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2007, 07:31 »
len, like someone else said, what has driving time got to do with what I know, I dont know how long you have been driving, so I will tell you about myself (not that it matters) I am 37 and have had my driving licence for 20 years (long before hids were around!) and I have also had cars with mega high wattage bulbs to try and improve the lighting, and what I find is, apart from being illegal, dont work that good, they risk frying your wiring, and all they do is make the light more oranger if you get what im saying, they also annoy oncoming traffic as they blind them which is one reason they are illegal, I know there are plenty of people who really dont care if they are illegal and blind other drivers, but hey, you dont like it when you get dazzled! I think maybe you should read up about light output, and the different tempertures they output, and hids output at a different spectrum which in laymans terms means, that they output a different colour, which is more closer to natural daylight. if you goto certain electric shops, you can buy natrual light bulb which are blue in colour, but outputs a pure white light. now cos of this, hids are more whiter than halogen, which means you can see better, which makes your driving less stressful on the eyes, they also work at lower wattage, and they also seem to go further than halogen.
Now I know they are more expensive, but hey is a preference thing! but its like some people are happy with a 8v gti, but some strive for a vr6, but at the end of the day, you proberly go the same speed in this gatso infested country, so why pay more for a vr6? its a preference thing, if your happy with your twin hellas, then fine, no one should knock you for your choice, but some people rave on about hids the same as you rave on about your twin hellas! hey if we all like the same thing, it would be a boring world and we would all be driving mondeos  :tongue: :laugh:

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #25 on: 10 May 2007, 09:06 »
Well I'm 54 and held license 36 years! Driven so many different cars I have forgotten them all.

And yea I'm more than happy with my twin hellas and wont be expending money and effort on something that wont give me much better than I have got.
If I ruled the world everyone would have twin hellas! :laugh:

I'm awaiting an answer to my question in another thread about these bulbs durability and how they perform with a lot of flashing!

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2007, 11:06 »
Well there's your answer and its as I guessed hid bulbs should not be used for main beam bulbs as the dont react for flashing.
Now that also applies to any headlight that has a combined main/dipped bulb.
I know that in Mk3's they are seperate.

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline DazVR6

• I live here
  • mk3 VR6...FEEL THE GRUNT.
« Reply #27 on: 10 May 2007, 21:00 »
Just to add to this debate....ive read over on the mk5 board that aftermarket hid kits are illegal :evil:...try asking Teutonic_Tamer about them, he seems to know his stuff.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #28 on: 10 May 2007, 21:08 »
Yea might have something to do with the luminense levels!

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Scooterist007

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 11 May 2007, 07:15 »
len im not entirely sure about hids for main beam, I have a renault laguna which has hids but only on dip beam, but I have a friend who has a bmw 530 touring which has hids on main beam as well, I have also seen after market hids which fit a H4 fitting, so it is possible, the hids to come on straight away, but, hids are like sodium lights (like street lamps) they dont get full brightness straight away, but they only take a few seconds to get to full brightness.

And as for aftermarket hids being illegal, I wouldnt put a weeks wages on it, but, Im pretty sure they are not illegal, and def not to do with luminence levels, they are the same bulbs in oem hids! the only thing about hids for manufactures, is that they have to have high pressure cleaning system and also be self leveling, but after market systems dont have this same legal requirement which is why i think that aftermarket hids are not illegal.