Author Topic: Car struggling to 100mph even with cam n Milltek zaust. Maybe Remap ???  (Read 1284 times)

Offline zoombug

• Not said much yet
 :sad:
Stuck a Kent fast roAD Cam with cam followers into my N reg 8v Mk3 concept and paid out a  :sick: load for a Milltek exhaust. Its got 60/40 mm suspension and 17" alloys with 205/40/17 tyres. The car just reaches a ton and i think it should go faster with the money i have spent.
I am havin this nigglin feelin that the cam and Ecu are not setup optimally, am i just being a Artard or is this really what happens.
In which case should i get it Remapped? Or should i get a vernier pulley?
« Last Edit: 06 May 2007, 13:37 by zoombug »

Offline nosaj26

• GTI forum regular
somethings not set up right i have p reg mk3 8v, i have a few mods including chip and milltek and mines good for 120 mph, little shakey but its old so i can accept that. the other thing is have the cams you fitted changed your power banding? have you sacrificed top end speed for more power to get there? might be the situation?

Offline heinz

• GTI forum regular
Check your cam timing could well be a tooth out.

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
does sound like a timing issue...and the way to tell normally is if it won't rev about 5000rpm that's your problem. My standard 8v will do 120 (on a closed runway of course :wink:)....
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline zoombug

• Not said much yet
Thanks for the replies.
Have to admit you are all a gr8 help.  :smiley:

I will get the timing checked and i think the power band issue could also be the cause.

I will also get the remap. save the pennies  everything should b  :cool: then

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
A cam alone can cause loss of power if its not set up right with air filter/exhaust and a Remap!
But check the timing first.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk