Author Topic: dai-cymru - 2.0 to 1.8T swap  (Read 18814 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
dai-cymru - 2.0 to 1.8T swap
« on: 23 December 2008, 10:27 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline dai-cymru

• I live here
  • 1989 MK2 16V
Re: dai-cymru - 2.0 to 1.8T swap
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2008, 11:03 »
Thanks Jv :afro:

Right after being unable to sell my 2.0 and a motorcycle accident which trashed my bike i decided that  i love my MK4 but not the power so i used the money of selling my bike as salvage (and most importantly having permission from the wife) to do a 1.8t conversion
 :cool: i scoured ebay and the local adtrader and the forums for the engine/box/loom/ecu etc, could find plenty of AGU codes but very few AUM. I wanted a AUM as it has drive by wire throttle same as the 2.0, where the AGU is cable basically i didnt want the hassle of installing the pedal box and drilling the bulkhead to fit the cable. so i just about gave up looking for engines as most breakers dont give warranty on the engines if there used for conversions and as i would be buying an engine i didnt know if it ran. so the 2.0 was nearly on it's way to the auctions.  :cry: :cry: but then ollie d posted his was for sale damaged, so i took the plunge and thought bugger it lets spend the extra and buy the whole car.   :wink: so thanks to ollie d, and a big thanks to rhyso for driving me all the way to surrey to pick it up. so after crimbo will be starting the swap  :cool:

so here is a photo of the 2.0 .......

and here is a photo of the donor vehicle.......

so i will update this thread as and when things happen  :smiley: :smiley:

Offline dai-cymru

• I live here
  • 1989 MK2 16V
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2008, 18:52 »
Spent hours cleaning the garage out today to get project turbo in so this was it's last drive as Y286 and it's backed in ready for strip down  :smiley:

Offline dai-cymru

• I live here
  • 1989 MK2 16V
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2009, 12:31 »
Day 1 3rd Jan 09

first day on the turbo project, first job was to remove both doors, bonnet and tailgate to aid space in the garage so we could get inside without struggling past the doors.

First Off BIG THANKS :afro: to my 2 mates Rhyso & Bob for helping out on the project

heres the team
Rhyso chief interior removal aka golf geek guru (i helped for 2 mins and broke the centre console as trim isnt my strong point)

Next Bob Chief electrician and all round stench master farts constantly (thank fook cos there are sh!t load of sensors to unplug for the loom

And finally me Chief monkey fitter
« Last Edit: 04 January 2009, 12:42 by dai-cymru »

Offline dai-cymru

• I live here
  • 1989 MK2 16V
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2009, 12:40 »
First some pics of the doors and tailgate removal and last time donor drove under her own power  :cry: RIP

And Rhyso the lowrider

Offline dai-cymru

• I live here
  • 1989 MK2 16V
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2009, 12:51 »

and finally at around 9.30pm (we didnt start til 3 on the engine) the exhaust to turbo nuts were really tight and eventually sheared after mutch swearing at them and then we had a twit of a job with the drivers side driveshaft. we also found that whoever done the turbo job was a bit of a butcher and destroyed most of the wiring conectors and just cable tied stuff up  :angry:

engine out (we dropped it onto a bread crate  :grin: :grin:)

we were happy to see it out as it was -3 and we were fecking cold  :sad: :sad: but our target for the day was achieved  :smiley:

we also renamed the project to project traffic cone after mine and bobs work overalls made for difficult photo ops

Offline dai-cymru

• I live here
  • 1989 MK2 16V
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2009, 20:27 »
right made a slight error with the wiring loom didnt realise it seperated on a plug and thought the washer bottle, abs wiring, headlights etc etc so spent about 3 hors this morning stripping it all out and then we found the plug  :embarassed: :embarassed: but nevermind took the ecu out too, we then towed the car out and swapped it over with the red golf. took a fe pics of the swap out, i also put the camera down and thought it got pinched but then only just found it so the 2.0 engine is nearly out all it needs is the exhaust downpipe unbolting, the clutch slave cylinder undoing then it's out sorry no pics as thought camera had gone,  :embarassed: will get some tomorrow.

« Last Edit: 05 January 2009, 20:31 by dai-cymru »

Offline dai-cymru

• I live here
  • 1989 MK2 16V
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2009, 14:04 »
right got the 2.0 out today alsdo used an engine hoist this time as we only had one bread crate  :smiley:

also swapped the ecu's over so the turbo one is in the 2.0 ready to go

not much will happen for 7 days no as im on shift for 7 days but will try and get the parts i need ready and the studs out of the turbo and get the timing belt swapped over  :smiley:

Offline dai-cymru

• I live here
  • 1989 MK2 16V
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2009, 17:41 »
well with this little gem of a tool i won the fight of the stud removal and managed to get them both out  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 06 January 2009, 17:50 by dai-cymru »

Offline dai-cymru

• I live here
  • 1989 MK2 16V
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2009, 22:45 »
70 hour shifts now over so back on the car today  :smiley: had a bit of running around today so started on the car late morning first job was to get the drive shafts out as they need swapping over and the 2.0 ones are too long to allow the engine to go in, so did that, then tried to land the engine on the mounts but couldnt get the nearside mounts to line up, with a bit of head scrathing and a look at what was stopping it turns out that the anti roll bars are different shape and the 2.0 ARB was straight instead of flat so engine back off the offside mounts and out the way then had to drop the subframe and pull the ARB out then had to go out and swap the one out of the turbo  :cry: but thank god i have the donor car  :smiley: :smiley: anyway got engine back in and mounts on  :smiley:

Dogbone mount fitted too

also had to swap these 2 over as the heater matrix feed and return are different for the 2.0 to 1.8T

this the 1.8t ones swapped over

also had to fit the intercooler bracket

you can see the shape of the 1.8T ARB

this is the 2.0 one totally flat