Author Topic: How do you think to change mk3 top mounts at a garage?  (Read 4244 times)

Offline roydenw1

• Not said much yet
Hi all, i got a 96 mk3 gti which has been lowered on JOM coilovers, there is a rubber squeek and a variety of creeks coming from the front near side.
 I'm taking its the top mounts because they look pretty old and worn.
Due to my lack of knowledge and a lack of somewhere to physically do the work myself, does anyone have a rough guideline to cost at a garage to get it sorted? Non main stealer of course.

Thanks in advance,
    Roy

My 2 favourite girls

Offline ttelracs

• Not said much yet
  • The Fettler
Re: How do you think to change mk3 top mounts at a garage?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2012, 22:10 »
Hi

I bought some from GSF and had them fitted by a local garage when my shocks were replaced. He charged me £ 70.
Unfortunately he fitted them upside down and so I went back and he corrected his mistake and didn't charge again, which he shouldn't !
I hope that helps.

Offline roydenw1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2012, 22:34 »
Hi

I bought some from GSF and had them fitted by a local garage when my shocks were replaced. He charged me £ 70.
Unfortunately he fitted them upside down and so I went back and he corrected his mistake and didn't charge again, which he shouldn't !
I hope that helps.

Thats not bad at all, thanks for that at least i have something to base it on before i start ringing around and getting my leg lifted!   :laugh:

My 2 favourite girls

Offline Jamin

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf Gti 16v
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2012, 22:53 »
Hi mate. I'm in Harrogate as well. One of my mates is the MOT tester at North Eastern Tyres in Knaresborough. Do you want me to ask him what it would cost??

Think I saw you driving up the Otley road the other day as I was driving down it.

Offline roydenw1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2012, 07:09 »
Hi mate. I'm in Harrogate as well. One of my mates is the MOT tester at North Eastern Tyres in Knaresborough. Do you want me to ask him what it would cost??

Think I saw you driving up the Otley road the other day as I was driving down it.

Nice looking red mk2?

If you dont mind mate, I just moved from York to Harrogate.
 Havent got anyone sorted to do it yet and getting that horrible rubber to metal squeeky/bang...doing my head in

Cheers

My 2 favourite girls

Offline Jamin

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf Gti 16v
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2012, 20:11 »
Mystic blue mk3 gti with vento front end.

I'll give him a call tomorrow. If you need parts don't forget to use the forum discount for Euro Car Parts. It gets you 25% off and the nearest branch is in Leeds off the ring road. Discount code is GGTIUK25.

Offline roydenw1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2012, 22:25 »
Mystic blue mk3 gti with vento front end.

I'll give him a call tomorrow. If you need parts don't forget to use the forum discount for Euro Car Parts. It gets you 25% off and the nearest branch is in Leeds off the ring road. Discount code is GGTIUK25.

Sorry mate, i didnt notice! probably had the missus in my ear! lol, Love the Vento conversions though..There is a lad in York i used to work with who has been on the VW scene a long time (Lord Lee Ross on youtube) he's got a vr6 supercharged Vento...i was thinking of asking him about maybe looking at mine (Vento wise) as mine is only the 8v i'm only looking to upgrade the cosmetics and not under the bonnet, and i bought it for how much more economical it was too run over my last 2 cars (Jap import Forester STB and a 323I coupe) Although i'm surprised how slow it is! but anyway, i didnt buy it for performance.

Cheers for that, and thanks for the code, ill take a look now. :wink:

My 2 favourite girls

Offline Jamin

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf Gti 16v
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2012, 10:00 »
Hiya mate,

Been trying to get hold of him the last couple of days but no joy. If you take your car down to North Eastern in Knaresborough and ask for Martyn, just tell him Ben and Smiffie said he may be able to help with the top mounts and he should be able to sort you out.

Offline roydenw1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2012, 19:49 »
Hiya mate,

Been trying to get hold of him the last couple of days but no joy. If you take your car down to North Eastern in Knaresborough and ask for Martyn, just tell him Ben and Smiffie said he may be able to help with the top mounts and he should be able to sort you out.

Thats sound, thanks for trying, i'll nip down one day this week and see what he says.

Roy :smiley:

My 2 favourite girls

Offline Jamin

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf Gti 16v
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2012, 10:47 »
No worries mate  :wink: