Author Topic: GTI cutting out, oil light flashes  (Read 171542 times)

Offline Scott

• Not said much yet
Re:GTI cutting out, oil light flashes
« Reply #20 on: 15 December 2003, 10:03 »
Replaced relay No. 30 in the end, and thought all was fine until this morning - cut out for split second on way into work. Nutsacs!!!
Looks like I will have to start messing around with the VW immobiliser - anyone know where there are any handy wires I could cut to immobilise the immobiliser???
If that doesn't work I may have to replace the Hall Sender (and thus the whole god damn dizzy!), a nice ?200 bill for that I beleive.
Mk4 PD150, Jazz Blue, nice! Puts my old Mk3 Gti to shame

golfvr6

« Reply #21 on: 15 December 2003, 10:54 »
You should be able to just replace the hall sender.

Offline Scott

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 15 December 2003, 10:58 »
Really? I was told that it was not removable on the mk3 Gti and that I have to buy a whole new dizzy - or were they telling me porky pies?
I have not seen any hall sender units sold seperately for the mk3 either, not on GSF or ECP anyway. Do you know of where I could get one, would it be easy to fit?

Offline Mk3 1.8 CL

• Just got here
« Reply #23 on: 15 December 2003, 12:10 »
Please help.

The cutting out loss of power problem is all over forums and very few have fixed it.

This relay sounds very promising as my golf has exactly the same problems described by so many.

I wanted to know if this only applied to those of you with GTI's

I have heard of other standard mk3's with the same problem but don't know if this Hall sensor Relay will fix mine?????

please help as i'm running short of time!

Thanks Mk3 1.8 CL

Offline 8vgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 15 December 2003, 13:44 »
Really? I was told that it was not removable on the mk3 Gti and that I have to buy a whole new dizzy - or were they telling me porky pies?
I have not seen any hall sender units sold seperately for the mk3 either, not on GSF or ECP anyway. Do you know of where I could get one, would it be easy to fit?

Scott, have a look at the earlier responses to this post, probably page 1 or 2, where I posted the VW part number for the Hall sender. I had this problem on my 8v and got the part (well VW diagnosed and fitted part) from VW for only ?13. Worth a try for the money.

Offline Scott

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 17 December 2003, 10:26 »
8vgti - that is the part No. for Relay No. 30; I know because I went & got one from VW last week, and as mentioned - did not cure the cutting out. Thanks for trying to help anyway. By the way, I only paid ?9.69 + VAT for mine! (Vindis VW, Milton Rd, Cambridge).
If anyone has had JUST the hall sender replaced and NOT the whole distriutor could they possibly post a part No. on here? I am running out of (cheap) ideas, I really don't want to have to replace the whole dizzy, the moths in my wallet need some peace!

Offline 8vgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 17 December 2003, 13:36 »
Sorry Scott my mistake, when I read my earlier post (page 2) I actually misinterpreted it!! On VW service sheet it said..."no readings recorded at hall sender...so replaced ECU power supply"...not as you say replaced hall sender. Surprising that the price of relay 30 can vary between dealers especially on such a low priced item. Let us know how you get on as would be interested to know.

Offline jaseb

• Just got here
« Reply #27 on: 17 December 2003, 18:27 »
Scott I'm in the Cambridge area and after reading through this post I went to VW Vindis, St.Ives got the ECU relay for a tenner plugged it in this morning and no change :(

I'm having the engine stalling after about fifteen minutes from cold I replaced the fuel pump relay three weeks ago that stopped it for two weeks but then it started up last week, I've tried cleaning the throttle butterfly out, changing the ECU relay this morning I don't know what else to do, I think I'm going to replace the fuel pump relay agian see if it stops it again.
The thing is I even rang round a couple of VW dealers in the Cambridge/Peterbourgh area and they all said the same thing that it was the fuel pump relay.

If anyones got any other ideas I'd appreciate them.

golfvr6

« Reply #28 on: 17 December 2003, 19:18 »
Have you changed anything else? or just the relays?

Offline jaseb

• Just got here
« Reply #29 on: 17 December 2003, 19:46 »
Just the two relays and the ignition bit where your key goes in (don't know the right name for it) thats what the garage said it might be when I took it in. They were wrong however so I haven't taken it back.
Is this a common problem only on MK3 GTi 8v's or does other MK3's have this problem??