Author Topic: GTI cutting out, oil light flashes  (Read 171628 times)

Offline adyh

• I live here
Re:GTI cutting out, oil light flashes
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2003, 12:17 »
In your fuse box

Offline Simonet

• Here all the time
  • Pearl Black GTI ED30
« Reply #11 on: 29 October 2003, 08:43 »
Update,

Car now works ok!!!

Offline 8vgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 29 October 2003, 09:06 »
Update,

Car now works ok!!!

Glad you got it sorted and it was just the relay like mine. I dont know about you but once it was sorted it restored my confidence in the motor!! ;D Thats the good thing about this forum, always someone who knows the problem. Unfortunately I had to pay the dealer to sort, but glad the part number I posted was right. Happy motoring

Offline dave conway

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 29 October 2003, 13:32 »
I too have a 97 P GTi 8 valver and was having a very similar problem.  Whenever I approached a junction or roundabout and was slowing down, the revs would drop below usual tickover level (900) and then it would cut out altogether.  only difference being from your problem the oil light didn't come on and it never did this when accellerating.

after looking at numerous forums, had seen allsorts of diagnosis and cures (pour carb cleaner in fuel line, air filter problems, hall sensor, ht leads etc) and asked a mechanic mate of mine who said none of these sounded like a cure.  

Turns out the cam belt was 1 notch out so there was less power going to the engine hence revs dropping dangerously low.  Cost was beggar all cos it was my mate and power now is increased and runs like a dream, had this fixed over a week ago and it hasn't cut out since!  As I said it doesn't sound exactly the same but might be worth a look...

Offline Simonet

• Here all the time
  • Pearl Black GTI ED30
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2003, 13:49 »
Thanks for that, but it was definately the Relay. Its fine now. The engine dying under breaking and acceleration and the oil light flashing are the sure signs.

I'd suggest everyone with a golf buys a new relay for ?15 pounds and save the agro! (only if they are having similar issues!!)

Thanks to all that helped!

Offline Scooterist007

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 11 November 2003, 00:00 »
Well Hi all,  Sorry I have taken my time to reply to this thread that I started! Now for the update! I have replaced the said relay which was the right one for my car and so far it hasnt cut out once! horah   ;D I'm always the pesimist as I say 'so far' but I do think it has solved the problem beacause just before I replaced it the car was cutting out four to five times in a 30 mile journey and was really doing my head in and my wife too and I couldnt stand her winging any more! So it seems to have two knock on effects: 1: I can now drive my car safely and 2: my wife thinks that I'm a VW god cos I repared MY car without getting my hands dirty!!   8)      On a different note the gti is our first car and our second car is a vauxhall astra 1.4   :-[  and the reason for the vauxhall is that over 3 years ago I had a 16v Mk2 golf and put it in a tree one morning thanks to a pheasnt (bird thing!)  well now last week a double decker bus decided to rearange the front of the vauxhall while going to work and it was his fault and payed out lots of money (lots more than what the cars worth) and a nice compensation claim and now I've decided to buy myself a nice corrado G60!! ;D  All thanks to public transport

Offline Timbo

• Just got here
« Reply #16 on: 07 December 2003, 15:51 »
At last..I thought I was the only one with this problem. Complete cut out...random, at all speeds wait 2 mins, and off she goes fine. Car booked in (again!) to try and sort this. Relay sounds very promising, and will suggest to VW that they look at this first. Will post results. What a great forum...cheers.

Offline black_vr6

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 07 December 2003, 19:39 »
i,d be pretty sure its ure hall sender unit. my gti done that as well and got really bad very quickly.

Offline Scott

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 08 December 2003, 14:06 »
My Gti 8v is still cutting out, under accelleration mostly, but now occasionally when stationary.
I have not got around to replacing relay no. 30, but do intend to soon.

My question is: my VW immoboliser still occasionally does that thing where the car starts but then cuts out a second later - whereby you then have to re-start it. I wondered if it could be the immobiliser playing silly buggers when driving and thus causing the cutting out.
I have never had the 'flashing oil light' and never had the 'dropping revs at junctions' symptoms either. When mine cuts out it is very quick (like the ignition has been cut off, i.e. immobilised) and does not seem to be a fuel startvation type of cutting out (i.e. fuel pump relay).
At speed the engine bump-starts itself again within a second, with the clutch dipped at junctions it just dies.
Help me please as I am rapidly losing confidence in my veedub, my 31 year-old beetle is becoming more reliable these days!
Mk4 PD150, Jazz Blue, nice! Puts my old Mk3 Gti to shame

golfvr6

« Reply #19 on: 09 December 2003, 09:00 »
Get the immobiliser checked out or get it cut!