Author Topic: what and when service wise mk3 golf  (Read 5684 times)

Offline shelaghmk3gti

• Here all the time
what and when service wise mk3 golf
« on: 27 June 2011, 19:42 »
hia, you may have already ready read my thread about the windows, but i need a dumb asses guide as to what i should be doing mechanically! all very well fixing the windows if the cam belt goes  :rolleyes: ( have spent 2 days on the windows)

so the car ( mk3 16v gti) has 141k on the clock, as far as a service history goes, i have every old MOT and a few receipts but thats about it ( deffo cant find one for a cam belt change)
so could someone very kindly offer up what i should be doing first , im on a tight budget,so has to be in order of importance,and if youd be so kind as to let me have an approx price that i should be looking to pay,no offence to anyone but some mechanics see a bird walk into the garage and rub there hands with glee!
 also, been critised alot by mates for buying a car with such high mileage.. please someone reassure me that m not throwing good money after bad coz i love her lol,so much i want to do :)

anyway thanks in advance for your suggestions, will be very much appreciated
shelagh x

Offline shelaghmk3gti

• Here all the time
Re: what and when service wise mk3 golf
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2011, 01:01 »
OK...FREE CAR WASH TO ALL REPLIEEEES lol
u pick me up and ill do it in my underwear!! or yours ;)

ONLY JOSHING OF COUSRE.. NOW GO READ MY THREAD

LOL

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2011, 11:25 »
Shelagh, I dont need my cars washed thanks! :grin:

It would be prudent then to get the cambelt done. As for cost well shop around as it can be anything from 80 to 150.

Then look at the oil on the dipstick and if its really black you need an oil and filter change.
You should be capable of doing that yourself. But will need a filter wrench.

If you can take the plugs out then check them to see how much is left of the central electrode.

141k is not a high mileage for these cars, mine is 148k and going well.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline shelaghmk3gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2011, 19:23 »
wonderful, thanks very much :)
shelagh xx

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2011, 09:32 »
Welcome, anytime! :kiss:
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2011, 20:05 »
As Len said, your milage is not high and if serviced regularly, will go on for another 100k. Oil and filter changes are the most important thing when looking after the engine. Some do it as regularly as every 6k or every 6 months. I think every year or 10k is fine though tbh. You have all the old MOTs, but that wont tell you if it has been serviced regularly or not, You need the service history for that. If you dont have any service history, its probably in your immediate interest to get your cambelt done. If this lets go, bye bye engine.  :sick: If you get a bloke friend to phone around first, that may help stop people mugging you off when you get there. You can do almost a complete service using very few tools and very little experience. As mentioned, oil and filter change (most important), Coolant flush and change, spark plugs, air filter, and cabin filter are all very easy to do. Other than brake fluid changes and greasing routines, that is about it apart from the regular checks that you are do anyway. Get a haynes manual and that will help you out alot to begin with. These cars are quite forgiving so dont be afraid to get stuck in and have a go yourself. Hope this helps a little.  :wink: :smiley:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline ashbreed

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2011, 09:12 »
OK...FREE CAR WASH TO ALL REPLIEEEES lol
u pick me up and ill do it in my underwear!! or yours ;)

ONLY JOSHING OF COUSRE.. NOW GO READ MY THREAD

LOL

My cars getting a bit dirty! Now I've replied! Lol!

Offline shelaghmk3gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2011, 13:36 »
thankyou seanL
have booked the car in for the cambelt to  be done on wednesday. gonna cost £80+VAT  ( that was when my son asked, when i asked i was quoted £130  :huh: )
 gonna grab a haynes manual tommorow, get the oil change done.. no idea what the coolant is but ill suss it out lol..and cabin filter?  :embarassed: ah well, i'll get there over the weekend :)
really appreciate all the help xx

eh ash, pm me your addy, got my best frillies all ready ;) lol

Offline trog_nfs

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2011, 13:54 »
Coolant is G12++ - get it from VW, should be bright pink

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 30 June 2011, 22:32 »
thankyou seanL
have booked the car in for the cambelt to  be done on wednesday. gonna cost £80+VAT  ( that was when my son asked, when i asked i was quoted £130  :huh: )
 gonna grab a haynes manual tommorow, get the oil change done.. no idea what the coolant is but ill suss it out lol..and cabin filter?  :embarassed: ah well, i'll get there over the weekend :)
really appreciate all the help xx

eh ash, pm me your addy, got my best frillies all ready ;) lol

No worries! Thats a pretty good price actually for the cambelt. Ask when you turn up if that includes the tensioner as well. (will also make it seem like you know what your talking about. lol). This should really be done at the same time as well. Haynes has a section dedicated to servicing so you can do everything if you want to. Coolant keeps the engine cool (clue in the name  :grin:) It also has anti corrosives in it so its good to change it regularly as well. The tank is on the right of the engine bay as you look at it. It will have either a blue or a black cap. Should be a pinky colour but if it looks like water, or if its grey and has a bit of a film over the top, it really needs changing! G12++ from the dealer is obviously recommended. Dont get halfords sh!te. Oil is obviously best from the dealer as well. 10w40, and get a new sump plug and washer with that too.  :smiley:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |