Author Topic: AIR FILTER HAS OIL IN IT ?  (Read 3784 times)

Offline legohead

• Not said much yet
AIR FILTER HAS OIL IN IT ?
« on: 10 June 2011, 07:36 »
Hi everyone just a quick question my air filter has oil on it quite a bit of oil really. Now i havent had the air filter off since i bought it so i dont know how long ago it was changed could of been years ago could of been recent  ive asked a couple of people what this could be and my answers vary from knackered engine to air filter just being old so i thought id ask some people who know what there on about thats where i hope you lot may have a answer  :grin:

Offline trog_nfs

• I live here
Re: AIR FILTER HAS OIL IN IT ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2011, 09:11 »
WHat engine is it?

Most likely is its an old air filter, and your engine breather pipes are a bit clogged, which does happen over time.

Put in a new filter and clean out your breather pipes.

Offline legohead

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2011, 18:10 »
WHat engine is it?

Most likely is its an old air filter, and your engine breather pipes are a bit clogged, which does happen over time.

Put in a new filter and clean out your breather pipes.
Hi the engine is a 1.4 on a 95 reg i just dont want the engine to be on its way out as i want to start it as a project

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2011, 18:22 »
As above. Is it a standard paper filter, or an aftermarket "performance foam filter" type thing? Reason being as they are supposed to be oiled. It isnt black heavy oil though obviously, just light greasy stuff.
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline legohead

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2011, 23:43 »
As above. Is it a standard paper filter, or an aftermarket "performance foam filter" type thing? Reason being as they are supposed to be oiled. It isnt black heavy oil though obviously, just light greasy stuff.

Hi no it is thick black oil thats the problem  :cry: :cry: its a normal paper air filter its not looking good is it :sad:

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2011, 09:20 »
Just clean all pipes out and replace the filter. Only about a fiver for a filter, then just keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks. Doubt its anything sinister though.
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline trog_nfs

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2011, 10:51 »
So its an AEX engine yeah? Very prone to clogged breathers. Take em off, bit of a clean every now and again. Its nowt to worry about

Offline legohead

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 11 June 2011, 23:42 »
 :grin: :grin: :grin:Its all sorted it was a blocked breather and needed a service :cool: good as new thanks for the help lads :smiley:

Offline shelaghmk3gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 27 June 2011, 20:46 »
hi, sorry to butt in, but are the breathers the same thing that my neighbour was telling me that used to get clogged and cause water to get into the footwell? ( on his mk 1 i might add)
 can anyone upload a pic of the breathers please, pretty please :) x
« Last Edit: 27 June 2011, 20:52 by shelaghmk3gti »

Offline trog_nfs

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 27 June 2011, 22:02 »
hi, sorry to butt in, but are the breathers the same thing that my neighbour was telling me that used to get clogged and cause water to get into the footwell? ( on his mk 1 i might add)
 can anyone upload a pic of the breathers please, pretty please :) x

In a word, No.

The engine breathers are the pipes in the bay that feed oil vapour back into the intake.
You're thinking of the drains in the doors.