Author Topic: I Almost crashed my MK3 baby =( help needed!  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Nino

• I live here
I Almost crashed my MK3 baby =( help needed!
« on: 26 January 2010, 11:04 »
Hey guys,

SO after these really cold weeks we have been having, ive noticed that my accellerator pedal has been feeling very stiff as if my carpet mat is stuck behind it or something but after my car heats up it seems fine, so anyway I was dropping the misses off to work the other morning and again my pedal is giving me geif! so as most of us would i thought I know i'll pop my foot down abit harder however! when i took my foot off the pedal the pedal came up fine but the cable from what i can gather got stuck somehow and my cars RPM started to raise, at this point im getting very Fast up the arse of the car  infront of me! i quickly dropped the cluch and slapped it into Netural and pulled over. At this point my RPM is close to 6,000 RPM i cut off the engine and lifted my bonet, i looked at my thorrtle cable and fiddled with it abit and then restarted the the engine and everything seemed fine, however now when im driving my car the pedal is now stiff all the time, and when i park up at lights my RPM does what it wants to do it seems to run between 1,500 - 3,000 RPM. But if i tap my foot on the pedal the RPM raises then falls back down to about 900 RPM and stays there.

Im getting worried now that i'll be on the motorway or something and this could happen!

I don't know an alful lot about stuff like this but the only thing i can think of is my Cable needs oiling or something?

Any hely would be great!

Thanks guys!
:)
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
Re: I Almost crashed my MK3 baby =( help needed!
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2010, 14:28 »
As i once heard "Theres only two things in life you need, Duct Tape and WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, Duct Tape. If it should move and it doesn't, WD-40. I don't know if you've already tried it but maybe spray some WD-40 on the throttle cable to see if it loosens there might be a small build up in dirt. Just a try!!

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2010, 14:53 »
Cheers, i'll give that a try  :cool:
VW Car history
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door

Offline aminorthreat1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2010, 17:55 »
you tried cleaning the inside of the throttle body? if its full of gunk from the oil return it might be jamming the butterfly valve open

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2010, 18:00 »
unclip the cable from the throttle, tie it up to the bonnet and pour some cable lube down there every 1/2 hour or so. you can get the cable lube from mountain bike shops  :wink:

unless its frayed somewhere, in which case bin it and get a new one

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2010, 20:09 »
unclip the cable from the throttle, tie it up to the bonnet and pour some cable lube down there every 1/2 hour or so. you can get the cable lube from mountain bike shops  :wink:

that cable lube trick is awesome, deffo gotta try it out myself.

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2010, 20:30 »
also check the kick panel to the right of the pedal...these can work loose and the pedal can get stuck behind them!
remove the panel (it's only clipped on) and see if it improves
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline whiter_than_white

• Here all the time
  • Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost!
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2010, 21:48 »
sounds like a bit of water ingress in the cable (freezing up with the weather) as stated either some cable lube or just stick a new one on  :smiley:

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2010, 12:42 »

I do the same thing, but usually use wd40 or spray grease.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2010, 21:19 »
OK Update: i got some WD40 and srayed it over the Thottle Mech, & the cable, it seemed abit better on the way home, brought a lovely smile on my face, however started up the car this morning and The same again :( i dont think it has anything to do with the pedal itself and the pedal comes back up fine. Ive spoken to my friend that owns his own garage he seems to think it could be the cable itself and said he will replace it and Clean up all the thottle bay for me for £25!!! im gunna take it up there on tuesday! hopefully this will sort it out =)
VW Car history
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door