Author Topic: Air bag light after steering wheel change  (Read 4609 times)

Offline Tuffymk3

• Not said much yet
Air bag light after steering wheel change
« on: 27 December 2009, 19:11 »
Evening all!
Changed my complete steering wheel over with a replacement today as the plastic mount behind the horn was broken.
 Bolted it back into position, Conected the airbag leads back up again (airbag from my steering wheel not replacement)
Started the car up and the airbag light stays on!!!  :angry:
The car was moved with airbag disconected, Have i now got to take it to have it reset? Or have you guys anyother ideas?

Thanks Mark

Offline BobProperty

• Not said much yet
Re: Air bag light after steering wheel change
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2009, 23:28 »
I think it needs resetting with VAGCOM. It's the moving or not leaving the battery disconnected until the airbag is reconnected gives a fault code which also leaves the airbag warning light on. Something like that anyway.
Owner of fleet of Mk3 Golfs. Not sure why.

Offline Tuffymk3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2009, 13:54 »
I realised as i was half way through i should of disconected the battery, in too much of a hurry  :undecided:
I have a copy of vag-com but it keeps bl**dy crashing!!  :angry:

Mark

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2009, 21:30 »
You may of moved/damaged the slip ring.....see what vag-com shows first
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2010, 19:30 »
Before removing the airbag, you have to disconnect the battery, and after fitting the airbag, you have to put the key into ignition, turn it to "ON", and then reconnect the battery.

Doing it this way will prevent the airbag light from coming on.
My Golf mk3 1.8 SE is FOR SALE - Jetex exhaust + Jamex coilies & More...Only £550! More info here > http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=161711.0

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2010, 20:04 »
Before removing the airbag, you have to disconnect the battery, and after fitting the airbag, you have to put the key into ignition, turn it to "ON", and then reconnect the battery.

I never done it that way, I just disconnect battery then swap, do what I have to do, make sure everything is tight and connected then connect battery again, then turn the car on as normal and I've never had problems.
By the way, always disconnect battery, you were lucky because airbags often go off when disconnected and connected when the battery is on!

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2010, 08:04 »

I never done it that way, I just disconnect battery then swap, do what I have to do, make sure everything is tight and connected then connect battery again, then turn the car on as normal and I've never had problems.
By the way, always disconnect battery, you were lucky because airbags often go off when disconnected and connected when the battery is on!

Well, probably disconnecting the battery is the main thing ;) Although, I've read somewhere (think it was Vortex), that you have to do it the way I described.
My Golf mk3 1.8 SE is FOR SALE - Jetex exhaust + Jamex coilies & More...Only £550! More info here > http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=161711.0

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2010, 08:31 »

I would not recommend that, you stand a chance of it going off, when I removed mine I disconnected the battery did the work and then reconnected it all ok with no issues.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2010, 11:07 »

I would not recommend that, you stand a chance of it going off, when I removed mine I disconnected the battery did the work and then reconnected it all ok with no issues.
My thoughts. Vortex is full of internet mechanics as well as helpful people. The way I've always done it and most people do it is as normal but with battery disconnected.