Author Topic: Error Code P1296  (Read 20769 times)

Offline simonparsons

• GTI forum regular
Error Code P1296
« on: 28 December 2010, 09:42 »
Hi guys,

I have a Mk4 GTi (1.8T) on an 02 plate, which has started coming up with a fault code recently. The fault code is P1296, which seems to be a fuel air metering issue (I have also seen other sites mention the code relating to the cooling system, but i dont think they are for VWs)

I havent noticed any issues with the fuel economy or performance, but have recently noticed that when pulling off in second gear, it seems a little jittery as if not enough fuel is going through. No issues in other gears, and if you push the accelerator a little harder it seems ok, but just not quite right. We have another 1.8T and that doesnt have any similar issues.

i presume both are related, but thought i would see if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to sort it out.

many thanks in advance for any help

Si

Offline AaronGS

• I live here
Re: Error Code P1296
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2010, 10:40 »

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2010, 10:53 »

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2010, 11:54 »
Welcome  :cool:

As said temp sender  :smiley:

See here:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=88088.0

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline simonparsons

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2010, 11:59 »
gooooooooooooooogle

http://www.cars-guide.com/volkswagen-forum/engine-code-mystery-solved-code-p1296-t1944.html

temperature sender by the look of it

Thanks for the prompt replies. I did take a look on google, but there seem to be a selection of different results, which is why i wasnt entirely sure, and thought i would ask the question.

From the link that you have sent, it refers to changing a temperature sensor, but looking in the haynes manual, it refers to two temperature sensors - a coolant temp sensor and an inlet air temp sensor. would i be right in assuming the former is the one in question here?

as a seperate thought - any idea why a lot of other sites reference an air metering issue

i will check out some of the links and go from there

thanks guys for all your help

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2010, 12:37 »
coolant sensor fault will play havoc with the fuelling hence the metering issue :wink:

Coolant sensor is on the right hand side of the engine (looking from the front)

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2010, 12:38 »
gooooooooooooooogle

http://www.cars-guide.com/volkswagen-forum/engine-code-mystery-solved-code-p1296-t1944.html

temperature sender by the look of it

Thanks for the prompt replies. I did take a look on google, but there seem to be a selection of different results, which is why i wasnt entirely sure, and thought i would ask the question.

From the link that you have sent, it refers to changing a temperature sensor, but looking in the haynes manual, it refers to two temperature sensors - a coolant temp sensor and an inlet air temp sensor. would i be right in assuming the former is the one in question here?

as a seperate thought - any idea why a lot of other sites reference an air metering issue

i will check out some of the links and go from there

thanks guys for all your help

Check out the link i posted above  :wink:

Offline simonparsons

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2011, 19:36 »
Many thanks for all the advice guys.

Finally got the part delivered in the week and its a nice quick fit. touch wood it has all been on thus far, but i will update the post again should the issue come back in quick succession

Highly recommended for anyone who has similar issues, as the replacement part was about £15 from euro car parts. Just be aware there are two different colours (blue and green) so make sure you check the right one first

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2011, 19:56 »
Many thanks for all the advice guys.

Finally got the part delivered in the week and its a nice quick fit. touch wood it has all been on thus far, but i will update the post again should the issue come back in quick succession

Highly recommended for anyone who has similar issues, as the replacement part was about £15 from euro car parts. Just be aware there are two different colours (blue and green) so make sure you check the right one first

Which was all in the link i posted  :wink:

Offline simonparsons

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2011, 15:39 »
hi guys.

all had been well for about a week, but the error code appears to have returned. any other ideas?

Si