Author Topic: Sill rust opinions  (Read 7195 times)

Offline oakgreengolf

• I live here
  • CAR FOR SALE PM FOR FURTHER INFO
Sill rust opinions
« on: 10 March 2018, 20:32 »
Owned the golf for around 12 years now and not been on here for sometime, I've decided its time to sort some issues starting with the paasenger sill which I didn't realise was this bad.

Pic of the rear with a hole

Front jacking point crushed with hole

Middle part of sill seems good

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do. I want to keep the car so a new sill maybe or can i get repair section or fabricated ?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
Re: Sill rust opinions
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2018, 15:57 »
i found that my floor was a lot worse than i thought...once i found a good welder i let him go all round the car and he found numerous places than just the points i thought where rotten

in the end it only cost me approx £300 to get the whole floor done properly but he had the car for at least 6mths as i wasnt in any rush for it but that price is about 5yrs ago :(

Offline oakgreengolf

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2018, 00:19 »
Took all the plastic covers off today and its not good. Inner and outer sills needed. Hole near rear alxe mounting. Hole up by front shock mounting going into engine bay. Both rear corners gone too. Looks like it maybe game over  :sad:

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2018, 12:41 »
VW Heritage offer a load of repair panels for most parts of the arches, sills and floor pan. Failing that, gte some body cuts, a few shells on eBay at the moment which may be able to help you out. These two method combined and a good welder should help you out.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2018, 20:28 »
VW Heritage offer a load of repair panels for most parts of the arches, sills and floor pan. Failing that, gte some body cuts, a few shells on eBay at the moment which may be able to help you out. These two method combined and a good welder should help you out.

Make sure you got some extra extra gliding lube when you buy from them... They are WAAAYYY over priced!!
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2018, 16:15 »
Took all the plastic covers off today and its not good. Inner and outer sills needed. Hole near rear alxe mounting. Hole up by front shock mounting going into engine bay. Both rear corners gone too. Looks like it maybe game over  :sad:

id still take it to a decent welder and ask them how much to repair, you could be surprised. you got to remember the value of these cars now, especially 16v's, they are worth repairing still

Offline oakgreengolf

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2018, 02:41 »
I've made a start by sanding the underside on the O/S which isn't  too bad. I've ordered a replacement sill for he N/S and hoping to get it fitted over the weekend.

Pic of the nearside sill which has seen better days.

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2018, 09:43 »
good stuff...keep at it :)