Author Topic: The 1.8T Air box/Induction thread  (Read 27810 times)

Offline davemk4

• I live here
Re: The 1.8T Air box/Induction thread
« Reply #50 on: 13 June 2013, 16:02 »
I had to cut the bracket off where oem air feed is and bend bracket out where heatshield would fit too. I cannot see how witha aftermarket TIP this will fit 100% mine on but it knocks on body work straighten it up then the bloody tip rubs on a pipe...
2001 mk4 GTI 1.8t AUM. k&n induction kit with customer heat shield, 3'' TIP, Forge 007P, Stage 1 map, N249 bypass, 3'' downpipe and decat, 2.75'' Jetex cat back non res, Koni shockers and H&R springs 35mm, dimpled and grooved disks front and back

Offline rio_gti

• I live here
  • "i'm not spending any money on it" Got a Hybrid!
« Reply #51 on: 13 June 2013, 16:48 »
A quick convo via text to Nick today gave the info I need; the standard airbox gets restrictive around 230bhp so mine will be changing soon

so what is being said here is that any more that 230bhp and this is the filter to use? the standard air box has to be made redundant?

2000 GTI 1.8t ARZ, S2000 filter, DSG intake, Forge 007 dv, Catch can, R-tech custom remap, 3" Supersize Silicone TIP, Powerflex dog bone, 'The Beast' FMIC, Ultimate delete, LCR fuel pump, 3" Turbo back, K03 hybrid, Ported Manifold, S3 injectors, 80mm maf = 280bhp 270lbft :evil:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #52 on: 14 June 2013, 07:00 »
No mention of what filter to use, just that the standard airbox is restrictive at around 230bhp...

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 14 June 2013, 08:16 »
Well fitted mine last night and went for a blast - initial thoughts were not bad but not great, didn't feel any improvement over my cone filter on the MAF and heat shield, as for it being stupidly loud again this doesn't seem loud at all gives a little induction roar but nothing my cone didn't give bit disappointed to be honest lol my filter was from ECP so whether that's any different or not don't know
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline davemk4

• I live here
« Reply #54 on: 14 June 2013, 09:26 »
Like said above it not miles louder than my k&n it just gives more turbo sound BUT the k&n 57i kit was very small
2001 mk4 GTI 1.8t AUM. k&n induction kit with customer heat shield, 3'' TIP, Forge 007P, Stage 1 map, N249 bypass, 3'' downpipe and decat, 2.75'' Jetex cat back non res, Koni shockers and H&R springs 35mm, dimpled and grooved disks front and back

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #55 on: 14 June 2013, 09:54 »
Well fitted mine last night and went for a blast - initial thoughts were not bad but not great, didn't feel any improvement over my cone filter on the MAF and heat shield, as for it being stupidly loud again this doesn't seem loud at all gives a little induction roar but nothing my cone didn't give bit disappointed to be honest lol my filter was from ECP so whether that's any different or not don't know

Sounds stupid but what colour was yours mate? I want one that's black plastic rather than green

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline paultownsend

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 14 June 2013, 11:10 »
is yours definitely not oiled?

i was going from an airbox, so for me it was LOUD! not indiction roar, infact none, just sucking and whistling from the turbo then mega loud dumps, and i use an OE 710N!

The main benefit of these filters is that they are cheap, and being paper they filter better than foam or that cotton stuff  k&n use.

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 14 June 2013, 11:13 »

Sounds stupid but what colour was yours mate? I want one that's black plastic rather than green

Black and Orange/Red  :wink:

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r539/DaloHarkin/S2000Filter2_zps42fc0a7b.jpg
« Last Edit: 14 June 2013, 11:42 by Dalo Harkin »
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 14 June 2013, 11:22 »
is yours definitely not oiled?

i was going from an airbox, so for me it was LOUD! not indiction roar, infact none, just sucking and whistling from the turbo then mega loud dumps, and i use an OE 710N!

The main benefit of these filters is that they are cheap, and being paper they filter better than foam or that cotton stuff  k&n use.

They are slightly oiled, it comes in a plastic bag and you can see the smearing of the oil on the bag and also on the plastic, yeah going from a silent airbox to this will sound louder :)
As for filtering better, you'd have some convincing to do there, by the time you add the silicone adapter and the filter you're into the cost of a heat shield and cone setup which I would say for those looking to go down this route go for instead, you ideally need the heat shield with this setup too so you're looking at a kit cost of:-
£20 for silicone pipe
£20 for heatshield
£13.50 for filter (needs replacing at each service)

as opposed to:-
£20 heatshield
£15 for cone that fits onto MAF off ebay (non oiled one) can be washed and re used

This may be up for sale soon lmao

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #59 on: 14 June 2013, 11:58 »
Dibs then lol