Author Topic: Bought my first mk4 golf  (Read 53892 times)

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
  • 2003 Golf MK4 GTTDI ARL (PD150)
Re: Bought my first mk4 golf
« Reply #220 on: 04 May 2016, 20:29 »
Dont think itll ever be unless it was fresh out the factory and even then its debatable

ok thats good news. I assume the torque values are not 100% accurate as it peaks higher than what the 320 Nm figure I read it was meant to be stock (peaks at 354 Nm)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #221 on: 04 May 2016, 22:57 »
No. Its gues work id suspect

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #222 on: 05 May 2016, 00:39 »
OK, following on from the fact torque isn't 100% accurate but is a rough guide, I calculated HP, again not 100% accurate but is a rough guide and seems like power is as it should be. I know RR is the only way to know and even that isn't 100% as there are several variables (think the only 100% way is engine out and tested @ fly?)

« Last Edit: 05 May 2016, 00:56 by paradisiac82 »

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #223 on: 06 May 2016, 19:58 »
OK so used a multimeter on battery, was 12v without engine running, then when turning over dropped to 9v-10v, when running was 14v-15v. Unfortunately I don't know anyone I can borrow a battery off so will take it Halfords for a check. The terminal did seem a bit dirty so will whip them off and clean them up see if that helps. Would be nice if it was just a battery problem. Again when testing it I feel the engine is moving far too much, same on idle so I will try and get a video over the weekend so you can check if its right.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #224 on: 06 May 2016, 20:18 »
A battery should be 12.6v am sure when not it use. Should obv drop during cranking. And again Obvously sit near to 14v whem charging.
A bad battery may cause the starting issue but withouthaving it actually checked to make sure its good you wont know

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #225 on: 03 June 2016, 21:16 »
Ok, so, this is me showing how little I understand about engines. My assume was, turn on ignition, fuel pump pumps fuel to engine, glow plug/coil light comes on until the plugs reach temp and then go off, then turn the key to start car, engine starts. I'm sure there is more to it but thats my basic understanding (I know air/fuel mixture is all done so it can burn to make power too). Now as some of you are aware since day 1 I have had issues with my car, most have been fixed but the starting issue has remained.
I'm not sure if its the warmer weather, coincidence or something else going on, but I would like a possible explanation. Normally coil light goes off in seconds, but......on Wednesday I have left it 30-45 on ignition before trying to start it and it has started every time (about 5 times with gaps ranging from 20 mins to 4 hours), no hesitating, stuttering or anything, just started. Is it possible that although the coil light has gone out the extra time I have left it has still been warming them? Or does the pump still keep pumping the fuel until car is started so leaving it this little bit longer is allowing the fuel to get round properly? Obviously will do the same tomorrow and see if same results, if it works fine, then obviously its 'fixed' and just needs longer before turning over.

Update: Still starting first time without issue, have tried turning over as soon as coil light goes out and it's started every time also without issue, so really not sure why all of a sudden its decided to start working. Any ideas?