Author Topic: cheapest way to get on a track?  (Read 2322 times)

Offline bigman_10

• Here all the time
cheapest way to get on a track?
« on: 09 April 2008, 01:08 »
hi guys not really been in this section before but i'd love to take my mk2 on a track one day and give it the beans! Its in the way of performance only a bog standard 1.3 (insurance purposes :angry:) so i'm not going anywhere quick, and i'd probably be really anoying to faster cars (thats just about everything then!)
I'd just like to know the cheapest and best way to have a right good laugh flying round a track would be! what sort of thisngs chould i look for? I've read around a bit and airfield days seem to be relatively cheap especially if its not marshalled. Would this be the cheapest way and if so how do you find out when they are on adn where? i've looked at all the track days at places like donnington but they seem really expensive! Basically i just want be able to go flat out and (maybe a bit sideways :smug:) without be worried about totalling the car and an inocent by-stander and having to explain to the police man why i decided to pull the handbrake during the turn! Any ideas welcome as i cant wait to give it a shot and try and have a right good session! Maybe i'll try and improve my driving aswell :wink:!

chris

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: cheapest way to get on a track?
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2008, 01:23 »
If your driving style involves going sideways and using the handbrake to put the car sideways then you're not going to be welcome at any track day - there are pretty high driving standards enforced and if you drive like a c0ck they'll have you off sharpish.

I think a 1.3 would be rather swamped in most track day groups, too.

Maybe you should try out banger racing, or grasstrack first?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2008, 13:56 »
leave the handbrake alone.

trackdays are emense fun but the organisers dont want people getting hurt so you will get a serious bollocking for driving dangerosly.

your car will be outclassed but thats no reason not to have a go.

the cheapest way to do it is to leave your car completely standard. check your brakes, tyres and fluids and enjoy. try and perfect a smooth driving style and a good line and that will put you in good stead if you ever get a faster car.

be aware of other cars passing you. you will need to pull offline slightly and let them through. it is a bit annoying backing off but at the end of the day you dont want to be spoiling other people's days.

if you are anywhere near north lincolnshire give blyton a call. they run a rally school there and have a concrete airfield circuit. doont mention track day though. they are test sessions.  price is about £50 for the day. have a look here...

http://www.rally-drive.com/

heep your driving sensible and everyone is happy. trackdays are not about driving like a tit, its about fast safe progressive driving and honing skills. but i'm sure thats what you meant!

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2008, 15:42 »
it depends how good with a spanner you are, for example you can replace every bush on the car for polyurethane for roughly £70 and that will work wonders, but some are an arse to fit. if i were you i would whack all the 16v suspension/brakes etc from a car getting broken. Shouldnt cost you too much and should be fine with the immense power of a 1.3

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2008, 16:18 »
Go for it and have a go.

Trackdays are seriously good fun and very addictive. Most trackday organisers are serious about safety and driving standards, they won't allow you to mess about with handbrake turns etc, but you'll be having too much fun without messing about with your handbrake.

No serious expense is required - a good helmet is needed but most good trackdays have them for hire, make sure your brakes and tyres are in good condition and you have had a recent brake fluid change otherwise you'll boil it and ruin your day, no loose items in the car, and make sure your cooling system is free of leaks and in good condition.

Apart from that just go along and enjoy yourself.

A safety talk on track rules and driving ettiquette will be given so you will know what is expected and allowed. Most track day regulars will welcome you along and give you tips and encouragement, and as long as you abide by the rules and move out of their way to let them past will not care what you are driving or how fast or slow you are.

A good smooth fluid style will make you quicker than trying to go too fast and being out of control. Most trackdays have instructors that will accompany you for a small fee, and their advice will make you a better, quicker, safer driver.

My 19 year old daughter has taken to trackdays like a duck to water.

Give it a go and have fun.

Cheers

Paul