Author Topic: Oil change  (Read 1689 times)

Offline weejockvw

• Not said much yet
Oil change
« on: 08 November 2020, 11:51 »
Since I retired my GTI is only doing just over a 1000 mile a year it is now over 10 years old ( I’ve had it 9 years and it’s only done 73000 mile ) I have always change the oil every year regardless of the mileages it had done ( it was always  about 7000 ) should I still keep doing this or could I do it every two years

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Oil change
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2020, 13:50 »
It depends how you are using it. Lots of small journeys isn't good so worth doing it yearly.
If its basically sitting doing nothing a lot of the time rather than lots of small trips then you could set it to longlife rather than time and distance. Its what I did with mine as its how I use mine so it gets serviced at least every other year with longlife oil or when it says its due if before.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline weejockvw

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2020, 18:43 »
It sits in garage most of the time and when do take it out I do about 50 mile a time
How do I change it to long life service

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2020, 20:15 »
Just change oil and filter every 6 months, oil and filters are cheap and easy to change, engines are neither👍
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2020, 20:17 »
Its actually set to longlife from the factory but the dealers change it to time and distance during PDI. I got mine set back after the 3yr service contract. But it can be set by someone with VCDS or similar device.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/content/owners/Longlife_servicing.pdf
« Last Edit: 08 November 2020, 20:23 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline weejockvw

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2020, 19:47 »
Thank for the help may get it set to long life