Author Topic: **MK4 GOLF 20V TURBO AUM ISSUES HELP**  (Read 13648 times)

Offline davkav

• Not said much yet
Re: **MK4 GOLF 20V TURBO AUM ISSUES HELP**
« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2019, 12:57 »
Just because you have never experienced it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened. A number of factors could cause head gasket failure, for example a failed fan controller at some point could cause the engine to overheat and a gasket fail or worse yet cause the cylinder head to crack.

From his description of hearing popping from the expansion bottle and 'white powder' on the bonnet, it indicates the coolant system is over pressurising. So I am interested to hear what you think the cause is?

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2019, 13:02 »
Just because you have never experienced it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened. A number of factors could cause head gasket failure, for example a failed fan controller at some point could cause the engine to overheat and a gasket fail or worse yet cause the cylinder head to crack.

From his description of hearing popping from the expansion bottle and 'white powder' on the bonnet, it indicates the coolant system is over pressurising. So I am interested to hear what you think the cause is?

I don't think I tend to find the problem  :wink: but I've never seen a 1.8t head gasket fail an I've had them running close to 300bhp at crazy temperatures and never once had head gasket failure

Offline davkav

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 07 August 2019, 13:09 »
What would you define as crazy temperatures?

As long as the coolant system is working as designed, it is never going to over-heat, and certainly should not be experiencing 'crazy temperatures' whether it is 150bhp or 600bhp...

Basically you have nothing positive to add to this thread, you haven't experienced a head gasket failure therefore it can never happen.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 07 August 2019, 13:11 »
What would you define as crazy temperatures?

As long as the coolant system is working as designed, it is never going to over-heat, and certainly should not be experiencing 'crazy temperatures' whether it is 150bhp or 600bhp...

Basically you have nothing positive to add to this thread, you haven't experienced a head gasket failure therefore it can never happen.

Have you experienced a head gasket failure on any 1.8t engine

Offline davkav

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 07 August 2019, 13:17 »
I am still curious of what you call 'crazy coolant temperatures'?

I have, a number of times. One particular instance was that the fan controller had failed. The owner was unaware and whilst sitting in traffic the car over heated. Head gasket failed, head cracked and radiator had a hairline crack. The owner hadn't noticed that the coolant had increased out of its safe operating range.

Side note: its no wonder an alarm is not triggered when coolant over heats....

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 07 August 2019, 13:18 »
I am still curious of what you call 'crazy coolant temperatures'?

I have, a number of times. One particular instance was that the fan controller had failed. The owner was unaware and whilst sitting in traffic the car over heated. Head gasket failed, head cracked and radiator had a hairline crack. The owner hadn't noticed that the coolant had increased out of its safe operating range.

Side note: its no wonder an alarm is not triggered when coolant over heats....

Was this in a 1.8t

Offline davkav

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 07 August 2019, 13:27 »
Yes, this was in a 1.8T.

But sure it could happen in any car...

Why are you so adamant that it cannot happen? And I am still curious as to what you define as 'crazy temperatures'?

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 07 August 2019, 13:41 »
Yes, this was in a 1.8T.

But sure it could happen in any car...

Why are you so adamant that it cannot happen? And I am still curious as to what you define as 'crazy temperatures'?

I'm so adamant due to having over 35 of these and never seen one head gasket failure and crazy temperatures was having a turbo and manifold glowing every day for 4years

Offline davkav

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 07 August 2019, 13:58 »
So 'crazy temperatures' you are talking about are in fact exhaust temperatures, not coolant temperatures....

This back and forth is getting ridiculous, the OP is looking for some pointers on what could be causing his issue. All you have advised is that because you have not experienced any coolant over temperature issues, that it can simply not happen.

I'll stand by my original post, from the symptoms they are describing, it sounds like it is a head gasket failure. This is just my opinion, but head gasket failures can of course occur on any engine not just 1.8T's.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 07 August 2019, 14:10 »
So 'crazy temperatures' you are talking about are in fact exhaust temperatures, not coolant temperatures....

This back and forth is getting ridiculous, the OP is looking for some pointers on what could be causing his issue. All you have advised is that because you have not experienced any coolant over temperature issues, that it can simply not happen.

I'll stand by my original post, from the symptoms they are describing, it sounds like it is a head gasket failure. This is just my opinion, but head gasket failures can of course occur on any engine not just 1.8T's.
If you read my first post you will see I advised to have the car scanned I never pointed straight to a head gasket like you have I only pointed out it doesn't happen after you said it was that