Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362379 times)

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
This is going to be more bad new for everyone. I had mine fixed under warranty before it  went bang.

They replaced the chain, guides, tensioner and a few other bits a year ago. But over the past few weeks i have heard the noise start to come back.

I cant believe the new tensioner and chain hasnt fully resolved this issue. The car is getting fixed and then buying a solid car. MK2 Ford Focus ST - Cant beat a five cylinder.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
This is going to be more bad new for everyone. I had mine fixed under warranty before it  went bang.

They replaced the chain, guides, tensioner and a few other bits a year ago. But over the past few weeks i have heard the noise start to come back.

I cant believe the new tensioner and chain hasnt fully resolved this issue. The car is getting fixed and then buying a solid car. MK2 Ford Focus ST - Cant beat a five cylinder.

That is bad news.  Presumably you had the latest revision of the tensioner when the replacement was done.

When you say the car is getting fixed, what further is going to be done to it?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline phil1975

• Not said much yet
  • Candy White 61 Plate Gti

Bad news :sad:

Good car the St, five cylinder engine does sound nice be aware that some cars can suffer from cracked blocks although their are mods around that you can have done the to strengthen this problem. Just google 'St block Mod'

I guess all makes of cars have their problems, this is why forums are so invaluable to highlight these potential problems and help to rectify and pre-warn people.

Offline mavs

• Not said much yet
My 2009 (59 plate) with 32k just recently started rattling on startup. Made the decision to have the timing chain, tensioner and guide rails changed this week. Whilst they had it stripped down, they also found that the VVT valve was faulty / damaged. The mesh was smashed to pieces from 'oil pressure' apparently. Total cost £600. Can sleep much better at night now though.
59' GOLF MK6 GTI | Reflex Silver | APR Stage 1 | Neuspeed P-Flo Intake | 18" Anthracite TD Pro Race 1.2 Alloys | Heated Vienna Leather | RNS 510 | Cruise Control | Bi-Xenon LED DRL Headlights | OEM LED Tails

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet

your not alone still having the rattle, check out this page...

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47128&page=24
MK7 GTI, Carbon Grey, Pan Sunroof

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.

your not alone still having the rattle, check out this page...

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47128&page=24
Are you sure its the tensioner or  jumping to that  conclusion. It  could be a slightly different type of rattle you hear that type of rattle is often on Alfa romeos were the variator has gone faulty. It's the same thing as shown and described on that link. I had the same rattle for the same reason because of the same type of part failing on my Diahatsu (a toyota engine) for a few years. You need to go and listen and find the location of were the noise is coming from.
« Last Edit: 07 February 2015, 14:29 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
well i have started recording it again in a morning as proof just in case. And its the exact same noise that i had before the new tensioner was fitted.

Now something on the above link could be correct. If the housing is dirty and not allowing the piston to go back through properly this could be adding to the problem.

This is adding to list of failed components on the golf now. Over the past 6 weeks both of my rear dust shields came loose and caused an awful rattle. Steel rubbing on aluminum caused them to increase the bolt hole size, not a good idea VW.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline goodeye

• Just got here
I'm new to this forum as my 60 reg GTI failed on me 2 weeks ago. 36k on the clock, no rattle on startup. One morning the engine just died....

Got the car recovered to the VW dealer where I service my car. Now after 2 weeks going back and forth with the dealer and then with VWCS I was told that I will get no contribution and I will need to pay £7500 to replace the engine (parts and labour).

I was told that the reason for no good will from the dealer is that the first service the car had (before I owned it) was done outside the VW network (it was actually done by the previous owner in an official Skoda dealership - don't ask me why). Even though I brought the car back into the network they claimed that there's no brand loyalty and that they can't know for sure what the history of the car is.

One question I wanted to ask about the figures on the first page. Were any of the repaired cars that got a new engine from VW out of warranty and bought not from a VW dealer? I'm looking for precedence for my case (I bought the car privately and wasn't aware that I can extend the warranty)

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
I'm new to this forum as my 60 reg GTI failed on me 2 weeks ago. 36k on the clock, no rattle on startup. One morning the engine just died....

Got the car recovered to the VW dealer where I service my car. Now after 2 weeks going back and forth with the dealer and then with VWCS I was told that I will get no contribution and I will need to pay £7500 to replace the engine (parts and labour).

I was told that the reason for no good will from the dealer is that the first service the car had (before I owned it) was done outside the VW network (it was actually done by the previous owner in an official Skoda dealership - don't ask me why). Even though I brought the car back into the network they claimed that there's no brand loyalty and that they can't know for sure what the history of the car is.

One question I wanted to ask about the figures on the first page. Were any of the repaired cars that got a new engine from VW out of warranty and bought not from a VW dealer? I'm looking for precedence for my case (I bought the car privately and wasn't aware that I can extend the warranty)

oh my god, i feel so bad for you. That is insane. you must keep trying to fight it. Use all the info in this topic and try put a case together.

I wish you good luck mate.

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Mine was bought private in fact I am the 3rd owner and was about 1.5 years out of warranty!

It did however have a full VW service history and I had the servicing done at the garage that repaired it post failure.
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house