Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 171064 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #520 on: 31 October 2019, 09:02 »
Yes the CO2 limits are about manufacturers hitting targets too - that's based on overall production totals - ie in one year their average needs to be below xxx g/km - which means selling too many 300 bhp dino burners is a bad thing.

Before the end of ICE, I think we will see a big drop in max power outputs from the main German OEM's.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #521 on: 31 October 2019, 09:19 »
Why would they lower the GTI to less than the GTE? Makes no sense for me. I think the GTI will be around 250-260.

Technically, they haven't really as the standard GTI was 230ps before WTLP killed it off..

And the GTE was about 200 brake. You think they're going to increase one and not the other?

With significant focus on electric and hybrid vehicles and the need to hit 2021 CO2 targets, vehicle manufacturers will be doing more to try and entice customers into electric and hybrid cars.

Producing hybrid vehicles with bhp figures that are close to - or on a par with - the traditional performance models within a manufacturers range of vehicles is one way for a manufacturer to meet its CO2 target.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/co2-emissions-limits-europe/

Correct. But there is no way on this earth that their flagship GTx model gets left behind by the hybrid one. Not a chance. Even, maybe. But a lot of GTI enthusiasts will be up in arms if this happens.

If I'm wrong, I'll...... be very shocked

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #522 on: 31 October 2019, 09:27 »
Problem for us in the UK is going to be keeping any of them below 40k or we'll all be paying additional tax. Standard spec will have to be very good unless the option subscription service as mentioned before comes in.

Yes, I can see a Mk8 being easily 40k with a few toys sadly.

I wonder though... the post-purchase activation of features though.... does that get around it?

If I buy matrix led's and ACC for 2.5k off of the VW internet portal after I get it... that's not in the RRP purchase price is it :D

Do you think they will do AWD unlocks too? lol

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #523 on: 31 October 2019, 09:39 »
Problem for us in the UK is going to be keeping any of them below 40k or we'll all be paying additional tax. Standard spec will have to be very good unless the option subscription service as mentioned before comes in.

I wonder though... the post-purchase activation of features though.... does that get around it?

If I buy matrix led's and ACC for 2.5k off of the VW internet portal after I get it... that's not in the RRP purchase price is it :D

That could be a good way to get around the daft extra tax as there is no way to police what additional items have been added via paid updates.  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #524 on: 31 October 2019, 09:56 »

I would have thought options purchased after the car is delivered will be more expensive than buying upfront. So depending on how much you are buying it probably wouldn’t take long to hit the £1750 extra in luxury tax toys pay if you’d specced them upfront in the first place, especially if it’s big ticket items.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #525 on: 31 October 2019, 10:23 »
It's only going to be software related stuff that can be activated not hardware related so might not turn out to be very expensive items. VW need to be extremely careful with the pricing of the mk8 golf and what they give in standard spec from the outset. If almost every option was on from the start like rear camera, heated screen, all the fancy lights and interior gizmos, DCC etc would people be happy to pay just below the 40k mark??
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #526 on: 31 October 2019, 10:39 »
Is it only me that thinks spending around £40k on a family hatchback is absolutely ridiculous?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #527 on: 31 October 2019, 10:41 »
Is it only me that thinks spending around £40k on a family hatchback is absolutely ridiculous?

Most people don't really look at list price, just how much a month it will cost them.

But when you get a 2019 GTI Performance with a few miles on for around £25k then £40k does start to sound a bit daft!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #528 on: 31 October 2019, 10:44 »
you can see with the jump in price of the focus that all so called family hatches have increased in price. The TRoc R basic price starts at something like £38750 which is silly money. I hope the mk8 golfs don't reach the 40k mark but my local dealer has 6 month old R up for sale for 35999 with a list price of 47995!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #529 on: 31 October 2019, 11:12 »
It's only going to be software related stuff that can be activated not hardware related so might not turn out to be very expensive items. VW need to be extremely careful with the pricing of the mk8 golf and what they give in standard spec from the outset. If almost every option was on from the start like rear camera, heated screen, all the fancy lights and interior gizmos, DCC etc would people be happy to pay just below the 40k mark??

Yes, the hardware is there, it needs to be unlocked.

Do you imagine though that a bosch ACC sensor and wiring loom really costs like 1000 euros - which is what VW charge you for the option.

I suspect it costs them maybe a hundred or so and the labour saving of just making it part of the standard build is reduced.

Labour is expensive, probably one of the most expensive parts of producing a car. I know they have trumpeted about how the Mk8 is produced quicker and with less labour than the Mk7. I suspect reducing options to be physically fitted is one of them.

The other thing is WLTP - under WLTP every option combination needs testing and approving. By fitting matrix LED's to every car they can escape adding that to the table of combinations for testing but still charge you for having the fancy option.

Its all about gaming the costs and maximising revenue.