Author Topic: 'R' Seats  (Read 7179 times)

Offline p3eps

• I live here
'R' Seats
« on: 01 November 2009, 09:20 »
Now I know no one will be able to answer this properly because no one has seen them in the flash or sat on them - but I want a general opinion!

I ordered my car yesterday, but I REALLY grudge £1730 for leather, or £3080 for Recaros - so I stuck with the standard seats and added the Winter Pack so they're heated.

I have a bit of a concern about the white bits in them though...

You know when you're wearing a new pair of jeans with white trainers and it rains... and you're white trainers seem to turn a bit blue?!
Whats to stop this happening to the seat bolsters?!
When your trainers do get the blue dye on them, its impossible to get it out.
Imagine having big blue stains on your new seats  :sick:

Any opinions?!

I know this is a Roc, but its the same seats:

Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
Re: 'R' Seats
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2009, 09:27 »
I got a Volvo R design company car, with white and black leather (well mock) seats, and yes I get this exactly, Its not too bad as because its a leather type material, you can easily clean them with a liquid cleaner.

It was something I thought about on the R's as the white parts seem to be much whiter and not a 'smooth' material, more alacantara / suede in design?

Not sure what the actual material is?

Dave
94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Offline Gazdebaz

• Here all the time
  • Lovin it.
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2009, 09:58 »
Upholstery protection spray I think would be the way to go. Unprotected, any dye transferred would get into the fibres and as you say, a nightmare to get off.
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Winter Pack, Lux Pack, RCD510+dynaudio, Park Assist with Camera, Sunroof, Cruise, Mud Guards & FT indicator.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2009, 10:21 »
As above i would treat them if i was you. I know Fabia vRS seats are a nighmare to keep clean due to there white bits.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Neil gti

• I live here
  • She's gone but never forgotten
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2009, 10:31 »
Nice looking seats but don't look very practical, even if protected surely it will quickly wear off on bolsters ? surely alacantara will stain cos it is like a suede isn't it,
is that the only colour combo there is, not a good combo in my opinion
Mk6 Gti Gone but not forgtten
Loving the 7R

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2009, 11:36 »
I'm afraid its either that colour or leather.
The bolsters are alcantara - and according to the VW website are GREY and not white.
I think they look nice - but I'm a bit concerned about the practicality of them.

A few of the guys on scirocconet recommend not getting leather as a factory option anyway - and getting them re-covered by an aftermarket company.  That might be a solution for this if they did get stained.
Its about £1000 to get them re-done and apparently they look much better and wear better than the VW ones.
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline Tailpipe

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2009, 17:40 »
I somewhat share your concern that the R's pale grey seat inserts will quickly get dirty or be discoloured by general wear and tear. Perhaps the best way to choose between the standard fabric and leather is to ask yourself how long you will be keeping the car. If you plan to keep it long-term 5+ years, then I would go for the leather. If not, stick with what it comes with. VW's leather is hard wearing and comfortable and adds a touch of style to what is already a very classy interior.
Golf R - almost on order - 5-door, DSG, Rising Blue, leather, 19" alloys, RNS510 with Dynaudio, ACC, Sunroof, Parking camera and sensors, luxury pack and cruise control.

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2009, 17:56 »
I've got the same concerns. I intend to keep my R for several years. I'm not a fan of leather either, particularly VW leather, but am also not keen on spending £3K plus on the Recaros if they are going to suffer in the same ways as they do in the Mk5.

VW's leather is hard wearing and comfortable and adds a touch of style to what is already a very classy interior.

Interesting - I've found VW's leather to be generally of poor quality.
Golf R

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2009, 18:37 »
I usually keep cars for 3 years (until the warranty runs out!) and then move on.  My Edition 30 never made it to 3 years old though!
I suppose I could stick with the standard seats, and if they do fall apart - then it'd be covered by warranty.

£1760 for standard leather and £3080 for Recaro's... I'm paying over £33k for the car - surely leather should be a standard feature, and the Recaro's should be a £1700 option?!

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2009, 18:47 »
I usually keep cars for 3 years (until the warranty runs out!) and then move on.  My Edition 30 never made it to 3 years old though!
I suppose I could stick with the standard seats, and if they do fall apart - then it'd be covered by warranty.

£1760 for standard leather and £3080 for Recaro's... I'm paying over £33k for the car - surely leather should be a standard feature, and the Recaro's should be a £1700 option?!

It's the hassle factor of having to take the car back to the dealer that I don't want. I don't think leather should be standard, but I do agree the Recaros should be at least half the price they ask. After all, you are effectively trading a set of standard seats. £1700 or so for a set of leather Recaros is just about acceptable.

As for the price of the R and its standard equipment... top of the range GTI/R Golfs should have the RCD510 as standard for a start. And ACC.
Golf R