Author Topic: DPF cleaning recommendations - North East?  (Read 5185 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
DPF cleaning recommendations - North East?
« on: 01 February 2020, 20:59 »
Asking on my Dad's behalf I've had a Golf R and Polo GTI+ since my 63 plate GTD.

He's still got his Jul 13 GTD (first UK one on this forum), and it has just hit 112k miles. Despite doing 30+ mile journeys almost all the time, his DPF regen light is on 50% of the time lately.

I suspect his DPF has pretty much reached capacity through ash retention and needs a physical clean because there's no capacity left for storing soot between regens.

He lives in Southampton, but comes up to Newcastle regularly. Down in Southampton he's been quoted £700 locally, so I'm shopping around the North East for him.

Looking at various youtube vids, there's

1. The DIY method of getting the DPF off (troublesome and time consuming) and using a jet washer on it (it apparently works!).

2. The professional removal of DPF and have it baked at an ultra high temp (way higher than 600C) to burn the ask then rinse it out - this seems to be what my Dad has been quoted for.

3. The professional 3 stage cleaning in situ of the DPF by introducing 3 different cleaning solutions under pressure through a pipe that connects to the DPF, while the car is running at about 2500rpm. The 3 stage kit sells for about £200, but £100 of that is a tool that forms part of the set and presumably a garage would only buy the tool once.

Seeing as it's an hour's labour for 2 people and £100 to £200 gear to do the job, I'm not expecting the job to cost more than £400.

Just waiting for a "DPF Doctor" branch to get back to me.

Anyone done a DPF clean like this and how much did you pay?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: DPF cleaning recommendations - North East?
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2020, 16:04 »
Just out of interest, how much is a replacement DPF unit itself?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC