Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529621 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #850 on: 21 January 2017, 19:49 »
I washed the loan car today and realised just what a pain the Santiago wheels are to clean. The car has just over a thousand miles on it and 3 wheels are kerbed, one of them is kerbed the whole way around and the car is covered in swirls and it still has a the glue from the transport stickers.

Shameful that a dealer thinks so little of their cars.

Don't be put off by the Santiagos - true they may not be the easiest to clean but you do build up a routine after a while and it's not so bad. Taking them off the car for a thorough clean and seal is worthwhile and doesn't take too long either.

I do really like them and the more I drive the car the more I like it. I am tempted to get my car before March. I may well get some 19" wheels for the car if the ride on 18's isn't much better. To clean them properly you would definitely need to remove them though as you said.

I'm also really starting to like the car in red and it was a colour I never even thought I'd like.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #851 on: 22 January 2017, 12:40 »
I washed the loan car today and realised just what a pain the Santiago wheels are to clean. The car has just over a thousand miles on it and 3 wheels are kerbed, one of them is kerbed the whole way around and the car is covered in swirls and it still has a the glue from the transport stickers.

Shameful that a dealer thinks so little of their cars.

Don't be put off by the Santiagos - true they may not be the easiest to clean but you do build up a routine after a while and it's not so bad. Taking them off the car for a thorough clean and seal is worthwhile and doesn't take too long either.

I do really like them and the more I drive the car the more I like it. I am tempted to get my car before March. I may well get some 19" wheels for the car if the ride on 18's isn't much better. To clean them properly you would definitely need to remove them though as you said.

I'm also really starting to like the car in red and it was a colour I never even thought I'd like.

Red is the best colour :wink:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #852 on: 22 January 2017, 18:25 »
Gave mine a quick wash today despite the cold, wax put on months ago still holding up (dodo juice pro blue). But noticed the chrome on the exhausts starting to lose their shine. Anyone else noticed? I do mine regularly with mother mag. Also bouncer done and dusted, is it as good as everyone seems to suggest? I am told you only need a little to treat the car, so is it like silicone sealant.
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #853 on: 22 January 2017, 19:18 »
Gave mine a quick wash today despite the cold, wax put on months ago still holding up (dodo juice pro blue). But noticed the chrome on the exhausts starting to lose their shine. Anyone else noticed? I do mine regularly with mother mag. Also bouncer done and dusted, is it as good as everyone seems to suggest? I am told you only need a little to treat the car, so is it like silicone sealant.

No, exhausts are still holding their shine (15 months old), always treated with Mothers.

Bouncers Done and Dusted is really a quick detailer, best used on top of sealant or wax, to add extra gloss and/or refresh between waxing/sealing.  It's polymer based but can be used on top of both synthetic sealants/waxes and organic compounds too.  Great stuff, super easy to buff off.  One of the best QD's I've used, along with Chemical Guys Speed Wipe.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #854 on: 22 January 2017, 19:54 »
Thanks Rebecca, must put more elbow grease into the polishing then :whistle:

Might try the bouncers then, sounds like a great layer of additional protection.

Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #855 on: 22 January 2017, 20:29 »

exhausts are still holding their shine (15 months old),

15 months!!! Already??? Where has the time gone?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #856 on: 22 January 2017, 22:06 »
Thanks Rebecca, must put more elbow grease into the polishing then :whistle:

Might try the bouncers then, sounds like a great layer of additional protection.

In all honesty, my exhaust tips require minimal effort, just a quick buff up with the mothers, but I do have a bit of a hated of sooty tips so keep right on top of them, lol. 

Try the Bouncers Neil, it's a lovely, lovely QD.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2017, 22:11 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #857 on: 22 January 2017, 22:10 »

exhausts are still holding their shine (15 months old),

15 months!!! Already??? Where has the time gone?

I really don't know Simon, it's moves scary fast, obviously just me getting very very old.  Just celebrated a milestone birthday and feeling sorry for myself, haha.   At least I've had the car longer now than I waited for it! 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #858 on: 23 January 2017, 08:11 »
Just celebrated a milestone birthday and feeling sorry for myself, haha.   

You're never 50  :shocked:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #859 on: 23 January 2017, 11:55 »
Just celebrated a milestone birthday and feeling sorry for myself, haha.   

You're never 50  :shocked:

Happy Birthday Booth!! Hope you had some fun :laugh: I too have that milestone to enjoy in a few weeks....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.