Author Topic: Track pad recomendations  (Read 10783 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: Track pad recomendations
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2012, 08:34 »
I think he must have been joking if that is a real quote. Fangio wasn't stupid

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #11 on: 11 July 2012, 22:50 »
Threw some yellow stuffs in the Mx5 for a trackday a while back and was pretty impressed, they seem to have improved them since the last set I bought a few years ago which were a bit mediocre.

Nick

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2012, 22:19 »
I use Goodridge stainless hoses, Yellowstuff pads and EBC discs and they respond really well in all conditions, and compliment each other well, as you'd expect. The yellows are a harsh pad and definitely suit the weighty Gti, I could imagine them being somewhat overwhelming on a lighter vehicle.

As far as attributes for the pad is concerned. The response is immediate, no warming phase required, at all. Overall I would say mine took around 400 miles to fully bed in and I managed to get away without planting my foot once  :laugh:

The dust from the pads is extensive, but my dark alloys negate that. But honestly it's heavy dust. With that in mind you might expect wear to be high. But having done 10k on my pads, I can assure you there is still the best part of 80% left, leading me to believe I will see 40k from one set of pads.

I've never experienced brake squeal in all those miles either. Nor have I had any trouble adapting to race brakes on normal roads, quite the opposite.

The only one complaint I would fire at the Yellows, is that when braking from high speed, 120mph+, the initial 'grab' of the pad against the disc is quite fierce and can result in a minor mechanical brake fade. The last thing you want to have to do in that situation, is let off the pedal and reapply to get better pressure.  :sick:
« Last Edit: 13 July 2012, 22:37 by MS1COYS »
Evolution Map / Longlife USA 80mm TBE w/100 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Forge Twintercooler/ Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Poly Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2012, 18:52 »
Well, first sprint done at Curborough and I can report that you dont use the brakes very much around there  :grin:. however, on the few occasions that they got used they were always very confidence inspiring with zero warmup required and full of feel for lockup (very handy at Curborough where you brake before, at and during turn in) so personally Im very happy with them. To add to that, I have been using the golf a bit on the road and I cant find a single problem with the pads themselves other than to say that braking is as good as I have ever felt in a mk2 golf with bog standard brakes lol.

As for the golf, it was a bit of an eyeopener as although the car was faultless and handled fantastically once over the initial lurch (stronger damper settings required next time!), it just is not fast enough to be competitive in its class as it is down around 40+ HP to the competition. Even if it is around 100Kg lighter than most of the other cars in its class thats a lot of mumbo to make up for with brave pills!
« Last Edit: 17 July 2012, 18:59 by DOA »

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 03 August 2012, 11:01 »
A copy / paste of my pad report I wrote on another forum, but thought I`d share  :smiley:

I have been using a variety of pads over the last 6 years, but tend to use EBC Yellows as they perform well and are economical but I`ve always felt they feel a little `wooden`, they brake well enough, but especially in the wet, its hard to feel when they have locked up through the pedals. The Carbone Lorraine RC6 were the best I`d ever tried, but the price was an issue.

I was obviously very interested when I heard EBC were developing a new track pad and I offered to give some feedback on the new compound.

The initial pads were tested late last year and I found them to perform VERY well, the bite and feel were much better than the Yellowstuff, I could really modulate the pedal just to the point of locking. I hadn`t realised at the time, but my brakes were running pretty hot.

So hot the dust caps were melting.

I noticed the disks were showing score marks on the surface, which appeared very quickly and only with the Orangestuff.

The friction material didn`t last particularly long, I`d probably get just over a trackday on a set of pads. This was fed back to EBC, along with photos and they used it to tweak the compound over the winter.

First time with the latest compound was Rockingham and the disk scoring was much reduced. It was probably the same as the Yellowstuff and nothing to worry about. The latest compound felt just the same as the previous one, great pedal feel and retardation.

Unfortunately, the pads wore pretty quickly, quite quickly in fact. They were wearing at a rate of 26Miles/mm. That would give a life of approx 260 Track Miles before the friction material was worn out. In comparison, the Yellowstuff I fitted wear at 57Miles/mm, half the wear rate.

I knew my brakes were getting hot, so I doubled up on the Brake cooling by adding a second duct from the front bumper

AND adding the wing vents.

EBC Sent me a set of disks and pads to trial, so these were fitted before Bedford.

We were running on the GT circuit which has a couple of hard braking zones. The car did 200 Miles on track. The new pads / disks were bedded in on the sighting laps until the pedal went soft and the front brakes were smoking... Went for a drive around the complex using NO brakes and then left them to cool for 30 minutes. The pad was then rock solid all day.

Following the trackday at Bedford at which the car did a little over 200 Miles, it was time for another check of the brakes.

After 200 Miles, the pads had 11mm of Friction Material remaining

New, they have 13mm

Thats a wear rate of 1mm/100 Miles (in my car at Bedford)

This is a vast improvement on the previous test and by increasing the brake cooling, I have reduced the wear rate from 1mm/25 Mile to 1mm/100 Miles. The Brakes were very hot before. I was melting plastic dust caps after a hard session, now they run much cooler.

Whilst the Orangestuff performed fantastic at the higher temps with ZERO fade, they do seem to have accelerated wear rates when running particularly hot. The Yellowstuff with the same configuration lasted twice as long, but when the Yellowstuff run cooler, they wear at a slightly slower rate. The Orangestuff difference is quite pronounced.

There was no disk scoring this time, the disks looked like new with no visible wear.

The rear of the pad still had the paint.

The paint on the friction material had only burned away near the face

The pad `smearing` which seemed to affect the early compound appears to have been eliminated, there is hardly any visible on this set.

The outer pad, with less direct cooling has obviously run hotter, the paint discolouration & bubbling seems to show this well.

I ran Orangestuff on the rear for the first time and to be honest, I the rear is now overbraked. I run an AP Bias valve and has to have it set to full rear braking reduction but when running low fuel, the rears have a tendency to lock. With the Yellowstuff this isn`t as much of an issue, I still have to reduce rear bias as the fuel load decreases, but even on fumes, they don`t lock like the Orangestuff did. A RWD car with better weight distribution won`t have this issue, but on a stripped FWD car, its something to consider. Pedal feel when running Orange front / Yellow rear was identical to Orange all round.

The rears have a slight heat discolouration where the disk meets the hub and is slightly blue, but nothing to cause concern.

Overall, I`m VERY impressed with the new Orangestuff compound. They still have the improved modulation and overall retardation increase over the Yellowstuff, with increased cooling, the life appears to have been significantly extended. They are certainly my EBC pad of choice, the Yellowstuff feel much more wooden in comparison.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2012, 09:17 by Nige »

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 11 August 2012, 08:53 »
Good info Nige. Im back out at Curborough today and tomorrow so may come back with more feedback on the DS2500's. If Im honest, I think the pads are a bit OTT in terms of their outright braking performance for such a short course although the feedback they give regarding impending lockup is very reasuring.
The main problem now is that the Golf is being replaced by a Phase 1 Clio 172 which was snapped up at a bargain price and should give me a much better idea of wether its the car or the driver which is holding the times down..... The Golf may yet make a re-appearance at a later stage but it will not have much left of the original car left if it does and will not be happening in the near future either.

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #16 on: 13 August 2012, 20:45 »
Fantastic research Nige.  :laugh:
Evolution Map / Longlife USA 80mm TBE w/100 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Forge Twintercooler/ Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Poly Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 13 August 2012, 21:17 »
Thought it info worth sharing.  :smiley:

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2012, 22:59 »
Great stuff Nige, seriously. I'm interested in the picture with the wool taped to the car to see the airflow. Did you by any chance notice more front end grip/less front lift after that cutout on the side?

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 14 August 2012, 09:15 »
Great stuff Nige, seriously. I'm interested in the picture with the wool taped to the car to see the airflow. Did you by any chance notice more front end grip/less front lift after that cutout on the side?
No difference in grip, but that wasn`t the point. The `vent` is there to allow the hot air from the wheel well to escape easier.

I DID notice reduced brake temps after doing the mod.