Author Topic: Leaky Pancake Pipe?  (Read 892 times)

Offline WadGTI

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI'er
Leaky Pancake Pipe?
« on: 28 July 2014, 14:48 »
Hi Folks,

Whilst fixing yet another vac leak on the pcv system, I have a good look at the cooler pipe work. Noticed where the pancake pipe joins onto the bottom of the cooler, it has started to collect oil and slightly drip through.

I am assuming that the clip holding the pipe on is shot? A few questions here...do I need to replace the pancakce pipe?, can I dismantle, clean the area and resecure via jubliee clip?

The pancake pipe itself looks ok which no holes or cracks, its more or less the connection to the intercooler where the issue is.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 28 July 2014, 15:06 by WadGTI »

Offline viperjsy

• I live here
Re: Leaky Pancake Pipe?
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2014, 04:30 »
no u don't need to replace it just cleand and replace the jublee clip but use fairy liquid and rince well

Offline WadGTI

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI'er
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2014, 10:11 »
no u don't need to replace it just cleand and replace the jublee clip but use fairy liquid and rince well

Took both jub clips off, clean it up, resecured it and see boost a tad little better. I did have a slight surge at low revs now and then for a while and seems to have sorted that.

Both ends of the join where leaking though, so might have to replace it at some point.

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2014, 12:47 »
as with all the boost pipes, just make sure you clean everything before reattaching I saw one the other day where it had been reconnected and the pipe was still oily, popped off again in minutes! and don't use cheap jubilee clips or the too heavy ones or you can crush the pipe, think the ones I used were called ACS hi grip or something and they were bang on  :wink:
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)