Author Topic: remap / chip  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: remap / chip
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2014, 23:53 »
You can get 7-10bhp out of a 1.2 Corsa  :grin:

And 60bhp out of a C63 AMG  :evil: :smug:

Respect that but most remaps I have seen on standard n/a car have only seen a maximum of around 7bhp, 2.0 Golf has to be one of VW's worst engines in the mk4 so whilst it will make it a smoother etc I still doubt it is going to add 13bhp.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2014, 07:33 »
You can get 7-10bhp out of a 1.2 Corsa  :grin:

And 60bhp out of a C63 AMG  :evil: :smug:

Respect that but most remaps I have seen on standard n/a car have only seen a maximum of around 7bhp, 2.0 Golf has to be one of VW's worst engines in the mk4 so whilst it will make it a smoother etc I still doubt it is going to add 13bhp.

I didnt say it would make 13bhp

And are you talking about peak power or average power gains???

Offline xxChrisxx

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 29 July 2014, 10:00 »

If you can't make an xhp gain at the peak (or top end), you can't realistically make a xhp average gain.

Unless you have a very strange definition of average, or you are splitting the curve up into broad sections.
Or you mean % gain.

EDIT: I'm not saying you are wrong in principle. I actually agree with you that it's the curve that matters rather than a peak figure. But high peak figures allow for much willy waving.

You want the most power, where you use power. Which for most people is sub 3000rpm.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2014, 11:03 by xxChrisxx »

Offline Mark b

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 29 July 2014, 15:15 »
the bloke said to me id notice the difference more in higher gears
Standard gti 2.0 115bhp 2000 w reg

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #14 on: 29 July 2014, 17:07 »

If you can't make an xhp gain at the peak (or top end), you can't realistically make a xhp average gain.

Unless you have a very strange definition of average, or you are splitting the curve up into broad sections.
Or you mean % gain.

EDIT: I'm not saying you are wrong in principle. I actually agree with you that it's the curve that matters rather than a peak figure. But high peak figures allow for much willy waving.

You want the most power, where you use power. Which for most people is sub 3000rpm.

Thats the way I think and its how I market my remaps  :smiley:

Do you want good, usable power across the rev range or a million BHP over the last 500rpm?

Peak bhp doesnt necessarily make for the quicker car  :wink:

That Corsa I did the other week, the bloke could feel the difference in the first 3 gears within just a few hundred yards

Again like a few others have said a remap done properly makes for a much nicer drive  :smiley:

Offline damien010685

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 29 July 2014, 17:56 »

It will be smoother but don't expect it to wow you mate in all honesty for £250 or how much it will cost I think it would be a waste of money difference on something like an r32 it's totally changes the car.
On a 2.0 it will be minimal!!

And let's be honest he's not going to tell u it's sh!t is he he will want business

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #16 on: 29 July 2014, 20:00 »

That IMO defeats the object. You want the difference pulling away and getting up to speed

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #17 on: 29 July 2014, 20:37 »
Yup I love the mid range area on my graph :afro:

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #18 on: 29 July 2014, 21:34 »
Yup I love the mid range area on my graph :afro:

Exactly. Especially where you live; a big top end is pointless  :laugh: :kiss:

Offline xxChrisxx

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 29 July 2014, 22:05 »
To be fair I think most people don't consider low and midrange power until they don't have it anymore.

My main driver is now a 325i. N/A 6pot feels great when you are driving it properly, but the lack of low down grunt can be a massive pain in the arse at times.