Author Topic: MK 6 GTI on 5th Gear  (Read 30097 times)

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
Re: MK 6 GTI on 5th Gear
« Reply #60 on: 07 July 2009, 07:11 »
The Fifth Gear review was a bit boring, but at least he said it was good. I suppose tv tests are never going to go into the kind of detail forum nerds like us want; tyres size, exhaust note at x rpm, torque band, etc.  :wink:

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #61 on: 07 July 2009, 09:52 »
The Fifth Gear review was a bit boring, but at least he said it was good. I suppose tv tests are never going to go into the kind of detail forum nerds like us want; tyres size, exhaust note at x rpm, torque band, etc.  :wink:

I'm not that fussed about that level of detail either.  But you know what?  What really swayed me in favour of this car was the Top Gear review.  It gave a really good overview of what sort of car it is, what sort of person might like to drive it, and what sort of things it was good for.  It was also amusing and entertaining.

This was boring, irrelevant and uninformative.  I didn't even notice that he said the car was good.  He said it was a legend, which isn't quite the same thing.

Exonian, I agree with you about the highway robbery.  That might have been amusing if he'd actually made that point, but he didn't even do that.

Rolfe.

Offline andrewl

• Not said much yet
« Reply #62 on: 07 July 2009, 11:18 »
watched the programme last night, firstly had to endure that item on potholes then the crap review on the Mazda 3. Having watched Topgear on Sunday night which was brilliant this programme was absolutely boring and will not watch it again.
When the road test finally did come on had to endure some twit going on about Dick Turpin and really didnt learn anything about the car.
Ive currently got an edition 30 and thinking of changing havnt really liked the new Gti until saw a red one in my local VW dealer and to be honest its really growing on me.
Anyone traded there ed 30 for the new Gti

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #63 on: 07 July 2009, 11:20 »
When did

I'm not that fussed about that level of detail either.  But you know what?  What really swayed me in favour of this car was the Top Gear review.  It gave a really good overview of what sort of car it is, what sort of person might like to drive it, and what sort of things it was good for.  It was also amusing and entertaining.

This was boring, irrelevant and uninformative.  I didn't even notice that he said the car was good.  He said it was a legend, which isn't quite the same thing.

Exonian, I agree with you about the highway robbery.  That might have been amusing if he'd actually made that point, but he didn't even do that.

Rolfe.

When did TG review the MK6? ? ?

Offline gc76

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #64 on: 07 July 2009, 11:21 »
Wow did that car look the bees knees on 5th gear?  mind you the review was pretty rubbish although they agreed with us that this is the best gti!!

I have posted before that I wasn't a lover of the monza shadows but seeing them on the programme I changed my mind and I think they looked super cool.

Rang my dealer today he reckons it is showing up for building in the next 2 weeks and should be here by August, thing is as I've waited this long should I then hold out for 1st September registration??

I'm in the same boat.  My car will be ready for August but I thought that I would rather wait until the new reg came out
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Monza Shadows, Lux Pack, RCD510, Park Assist & FT indicator

"Sounds just like a Golf"

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #65 on: 07 July 2009, 11:31 »
When did TG review the MK6? ? ?

OK, you win, the review I saw was the MkV.

As a non-Golf owner, that doesn't change my mind a lot, as you guys seem quite split on whether there's any real difference betwen the cars.

Rolfe.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #66 on: 07 July 2009, 11:33 »
I remember that review well

"You can drop the kids off on the school run and then drive home like you've sat on a wasp!" :D :D :D

I would not like to comment on the differences between the MK5 and MK6  :lipsrsealed:  :grin:

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #67 on: 07 July 2009, 11:40 »
I remember that review well

"You can drop the kids off on the school run and then drive home like you've sat on a wasp!" :D :D :D

I would not like to comment on the differences between the MK5 and MK6  :lipsrsealed:  :grin:

That's the one!  Liked it.

Come on, unseal those lips.  You surely don't mean the Mk VI can't go "like you've sat on a wasp"?

Rolfe.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #68 on: 07 July 2009, 11:49 »
No no no ! I love the MK6, think its a cracking motor.

Im just HUGLEY disappointed with VWs lack forward progress with the MK6. IMO its a MK5.5. It doesn't look all that different to the MK5, it wont go all that faster (seriously 10bhp is nothing). The interior is SLIGHTLY different to the MK5. You look at the improvements made between MK4 and MK5 then compare that to MK5 and MK6. If I was in the market for a new motor I'd SERIOUSLY be tempted to get as late and low mileage ED30 as possible and then go on a fantastic holiday / mod it into a serious weapon with all the money iv saved.

Then, spec it up to the same level as an S3 and its cost pretty much the same as an S3 and Id take an S3 over a GTI any day (265bhp 4WD thank you very much). This is all just my opinion however, the fact that my opinion is always right is far from the point ;) :D

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #69 on: 07 July 2009, 11:57 »

Im just HUGLEY disappointed with VWs lack forward progress with the MK6. IMO its a MK5.5. It doesn't look all that different to the MK5, it wont go all that faster (seriously 10bhp is nothing). The interior is SLIGHTLY different to the MK5. You look at the improvements made between MK4 and MK5 then compare that to MK5 and MK6. If I was in the market for a new motor I'd SERIOUSLY be tempted to get as late and low mileage ED30 as possible and then go on a fantastic holiday / mod it into a serious weapon with all the money iv saved.

How much longer are people going to go on about it being a "mk5.5"? Surely that's exactly what it is, didn't VW even say something along those lines?