Author Topic: DTUK Pedalbox  (Read 44986 times)

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Re: DTUK Pedalbox
« Reply #100 on: 16 March 2018, 00:04 »
Just came back from my first drive with the box... "freaking awesome" would summarize my findings and impressions pretty well but here's the detailed review, I know there's enough testimonies from so many owners here but owe it to myself to write a long one as I had been skeptical over pedalboxes for years, until tonight.

Simply put, the car is a new beast below 3500 rpm where in fact I use it most of the time being a daily driver. I dare say that the transformation is as significant and obvious as a stage 1 remap with one difference: The remap can easily go un-noticed when not driving with your foot down and makes its presence very clear when the revs start to build up after 3.5K. The box is exactly the opposite: It's all about requesting throttle from low rpm and in a low-ish gear (say <4th), not flooring it but with the intention of accelerating decisively (say 40% of pedal travel). Where you'd normally just hear engine noise and feel as if you're down 100bhp, the car now launches forward immediately feeling like it's good for each one of its announced horses.

That instant, forward kick even if you half-depress the pedal, a feeling which you would have probably expected on a performance car but failed to find on any VW of late is the most appreciated difference. Stock GTIs don't have it, stock R's don't have it, stock Clubsports don't have it and even a 360bhp mapped Clubsport doesn't have it, because it's not about how much power you make but how much of that is accessible to you early in the pedal travel. Think of it as an over-protective governor that only allows you a fraction of the power you've got until you really convince him you can handle it (which is by using lots of revs and lots of pedal at the same time). The pedalbox cancels that and just gives you access to exactly as much as you want right from the start. No lags, no need to drop down a gear and use more revs. It honestly reminded me of my previous car which was a stage 2 twincharged 1.4 TSI. If I missed one thing from that car is the supercharger and how instantly it picked up speed from low rpm no matter what. Well, I now have this and it's just an excuse to slow down and accelerate just for the heck of it, it feels that good.

Before tonight I had been wondering, can't you just depress the pedal more and have the same effect as a pedalbox? Well not really. I turned it off and tried to see if I could replicate the pedalbox acceleration by just putting my foot deeper down and I failed. I just got noise and revs but not as much acceleration. The beauties of drive by wire and its algorithms I guess...

So, will this give you more power?   :tongue:  Obviously not. Will it make you hit better acceleration times as in 0-60 or 60-120? Again probably not because when you do those you're already starting from high rpm and use full throttle so the ECU is already fully obeying your foot. BUT, it will make everyday driving so much more enjoyable and remind you what your car is really capable of because it's at exactly those everyday moments (and there are so many, probably orders of magnitude more than your "racing" moments) that you're not racing or in the lowest gear possible, but just want to make swift progress "politely", and the stock throttle map denies you that. It's at those moments that you will enjoy a much quicker, direct response and consequently a faster car. For me, I think it has made city driving (an occasion ruled out as a fun one) so much more pleasant.
« Last Edit: 16 March 2018, 00:10 by scanesare »

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #101 on: 16 March 2018, 11:01 »
Well that is the best review/write up I've ever read on here - absolute nail.on.the .head

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #102 on: 16 March 2018, 15:16 »
Well that is the best review/write up I've ever read on here - absolute nail.on.the .head

My thoughts too.  :smiley:

It summed up what myself and a few others on here have been saying for years (but in smaller bites in multiple posts in multiple threads) all in one very well written review.
:afro:

For those that still say "why don't you just put your foot down a bit more?" all I can do is scream.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #103 on: 16 March 2018, 15:21 »
Good writeup!

I'd guess that the OEM throttle mapping is all about CO2 test figures...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #104 on: 16 March 2018, 19:48 »
Thanks. I know I tend to ask lots of questions about the details myself so I tried to write a review that would address as many as possible. And also due to the fact I did not expect it be that good really.

For those that still say "why don't you just put your foot down a bit more?" all I can do is scream.

I guess I was one of those people. It's weird how it's just not the same thing at all to put your foot down, compared to the response with the pedalbox on.

Good writeup!

I'd guess that the OEM throttle mapping is all about CO2 test figures...

Could be that, because I can't really think of a good reason to suppress the pedal request so much at the first half of the travel.

Offline WatchThis

• Not said much yet
« Reply #105 on: 17 March 2018, 07:42 »
Isn't the CO2 measured against testing at certain engine RPMs / simulated road speed? 
Enjoying: Atlantic Blue 5 door GTI PP DSG Brescia's-Art Velours-Park-Camera-Voice-Excite-Airbags-Keyless-DCC-Traffic Jam-Climate Windscreen-Dynamic lights-Rear tints

Offline canalmike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #106 on: 26 March 2018, 18:03 »
I was about to order one, but now not sure which:

* DTUK pedal box: £189 online
* DTUK pedal box Plus: £199 online
* Remus Respnder: £175 (199 euros)

Differences and recomendations?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #107 on: 26 March 2018, 18:36 »
I was about to order one, but now not sure which:

* DTUK pedal box: £189 online
* DTUK pedal box Plus: £199 online
* Remus Respnder: £175 (199 euros)

Differences and recomendations?

The third one you don’t want.

The first one, pedal box, is the older style original pedal box.

The second one pedal box plus is the newer version

Of the two versions of the pedal box, the Plus and the original, the Plus is suitable for cars with newer digital SENT sensors (as found in some new Audi models etc), but available for cars with analogue sensors, and the original version is suitable for cars only with analogue sensors and not forwards compatible.  The Plus uses improved processor technology and the calibration is more presice.  The control unit of the Plus is much more contemporary looking than the old version. I have the old version, and it does a great job, so haven't felt the need to change but if I was buying today, for the small extra cost, I'd get the plus.

You can get discount on either using code RF80 (unless there’s some offer running already).
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline canalmike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #108 on: 26 March 2018, 19:00 »
Thanks Booth11. Will order the Plus.

(how come this forum has no 'thanks' button or have I missed it? Folks are so helpful the need is there!)

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #109 on: 26 March 2018, 19:31 »
Thanks Booth11. Will order the Plus.

(how come this forum has no 'thanks' button or have I missed it? Folks are so helpful the need is there!)

Now, I can endorse Booth here, and confirm she doesn't have actually have a personal interest in this particular company.

oops! forgot the  :wink:

« Last Edit: 26 March 2018, 19:33 by CHB100 »
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.