Author Topic: Wax comparison - Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Pro v Auto Finesse Desire  (Read 11342 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
As a lover of wax, I've been keen to try out Auto Finesse Desire for some time. So, inspired by Nino's recent wax comparison, I decided to test the AF Desire against my favourite wax, Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Pro.  Desire is a premium high content carnauba paste wax priced £80-120 and Blue Velvet Pro is a hard hybrid wax priced £47-50.

Preparation
For the test, the bonnet, front end and front wings were first washed, clayed, washed again then polished using Poorboys SSR1 with DA.  Finally a coat of  Poorboys Ex-P sealant was applied.

Before application

Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Pro was applied in a thin layer to the passenger side of bonnet, front and wing.  Auto Finesse Desire was applied to the driver's side bonnet, front and wing.  Both were equally easy to apply.  The Blue velvet was much easier to buff off than the Desire which required more elbow grease.

Blue velvet pro applied

Desire applied

Results
Both waxes gave great results and lovely rich gloss.  But I thought the Blue velvet was a little deeper.

After - Blue velvet pro side

After - Desire side

General view

Water beading test

Result of water spray test in this video. http://youtu.be/sQ_PMLXbPps

Conclusion

Aesthetically both waxes were fairly evenly matched and gave a lovely deep gloss to the paintwork and I would be happy with either, though I think the Blue velvet just edges it. 

The water test revealed the Blue Velvet Pro performed better, repelled water more effectively leaving virtually nothing on the bonnet afterwards and water beads were smaller.  Desire performed well but by comparison gave poorer repellency and held onto more water, with larger beading.

On the strength of this initial comparison, the Blue Velvet Pro is coming out tops for me.  It's easy to apply, much easier to buff, gives fantastic shine and excellent water repellency, and is cheaper.

Further water/beading tests will be carried out to test the longevity and durability of the wax and an update posted  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
Awesome job and awesome review, thanks.

It's all about the claying ;-)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Awesome job and awesome review, thanks.

It's all about the claying ;-)

Indeed it is Neil  :wink:

Thanks mate  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Nino

• I live here
Nice one Booth, I washed my car again today and I must say the auto finesse has gotten worse im really disappointed in there product if i am honest.
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Nice one Booth, I washed my car again today and I must say the auto finesse has gotten worse im really disappointed in there product if i am honest.

Yeah, so far I'm thinking the AF's not worth the money, it leaves a nice finish but doesn't do anything better than the other wax, and is poorer on water test.  I'm going to wash the car weekly as usual, then do another water test in couple weeks to see how they compare.

I was surprised at the short hazing time the AF required, only left it on 5 mins and that was really too long as it was a bugger to buff off compared to the blue velvet. 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Nino

• I live here
I've tired quiet a few of AF products. I'm yet to find any that really impress me. Meguires products however. Great.
VW Car history
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Personally i don't think you can go wrong with Dodo wax all things considered, ease of use, cost, results and longevity make it my wax of choice, i'm using Supermatural atm but if i keep the R i'll be getting a tub of Blue Velvet pro!  :cool:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Personally i don't think you can go wrong with Dodo wax all things considered, ease of use, cost, results and longevity make it my wax of choice, i'm using Supermatural atm but if i keep the R i'll be getting a tub of Blue Velvet pro!  :cool:

My preferred wax too but had to scratch the Auto Finesse itch.  It's been p!ssing down all day so I've had a good chance to watch how both bead in the rain.  AF has much larger beads than the DJ.

I like DJ Supernatural Hybrid and it performs well on all fronts but the finish is little too sterile for my liking, very shiny but lacks depth.  This is where Blue Velvet excels, it really brings out the depth of colour.  I'd love to see it on your Lapis R  :cool:
« Last Edit: 25 August 2014, 14:53 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Nino

• I live here
Ypu have made me want blue velvet pro now lol
VW Car history
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Ypu have made me want blue velvet pro now lol

Try it, I doubt you'll be disappointed, and if you are, then there's no pleasing you, lol.

Or, I've got a barely used pot of AF Desire going cheap if you're interested  :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual