Author Topic: Advice for washing my Mk7 GTI  (Read 6905 times)

Offline Bingham67

• Not said much yet
Advice for washing my Mk7 GTI
« on: 14 October 2013, 11:25 »
I am a total noob for washing car so need advice in basic terms im not looking to go mad but a wash once before go back to work should do the trick.

I have been reading other threads here lambswool mitt, grit guard, drying towel can someone point me in direction of the best ones to buy. As for cleaners i read Autosmart duet is good so think i am going to buy some of that, also what the best method for cleaning wheels/alloy etc.

Also being not so great weather at moment the inside carpets already muddy and got bit of hay etc joys of living near country roads what do i need to clean carpets?

Also could someone explain the method please of cleaning in basic terms as possible many thanks in advance.

Offline AaronMc

• Not said much yet
  • GTI Life..
Re: Advice for washing my Mk7 GTI
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2013, 12:09 »
Good that your looking to get into it mate, its very addictive once starting!

Mitt I would go for a Lambswool Ones or the Dooka Wash Pad. They arent cheap at £18.95 but will last you forever if looked after, and is well worth the pricetag! The Dooka ones are available of their own website.

Grit guards are available on all car cleaning sites, so just get whichever one, and 2 decent buckets.

Drying towel go for the large fluffy ones, such as http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/I4D_Uber_Premium_Drying_Towel_1.html#aUBERDRY

As for shampoo., Autosmart Duet is good as it can be bought in large bulks, and will last you ages if just for your own car, and has an element of protection too it, but still get a good base wax on the car as the wax in Duet wont do the same as a decent wax on the car first.

Wheels use a non acidic product, something like Autosmart Smart Wheels or Auto Finesse imperial. You will probably need various brushes to get in all the gaps too, the EZ Detail brushes are ideal.

Best thing for the carpets is to wait until dried out, then hoover and see what comes up. If marks are left you will need some form of Upholstery Cleaner, doesnt have to be car specific, or a Wet Vac is always a good investment!

Method of cleaning should be -

- Rinse Car & Wheels Off with Water or Snow Foam if you have?
- Sponge into Shampoo Bucket, wash small section of car, rinse in rinse bucket of plain water. Start with the roof and work downwards.
- Rinse area shampoo'd.
- Clean Wheels & Exhausts, and rinse as you do each one.
- Once complete, pat car dry with drying towel, avoid rubbing over the paintwork as such.

Use a seperate mitt for wheels also and never do them first if your using the same bucket to wash them!

Should be a starter for you, enjoy and get some pics up!
Golf GTI MK6 Manual - Tornado Red with Jacara Cloth, Monza Shadows, RNS510, Dynaudio System, Fiscon Bluetooth, Front & Rear Park Sensors, ACC, Cruise Control, Winter Pack & Xenon Lights.

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2013, 14:18 »
Good info, also read these good to understand the science behind it  :cool:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4637

http://paintcarendetailing.com/washing.html
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline Bingham67

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2013, 17:01 »
Thanks so much for taking time to help just what i need to get started also separate question anyone know a good detailer hertfordshire area?

Offline AaronMc

• Not said much yet
  • GTI Life..
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2013, 17:18 »
Auto Finesse are based there. Massive company with a huge range of their own products too.

May be shown in the price though. If not tap into Google and see whats around.
Golf GTI MK6 Manual - Tornado Red with Jacara Cloth, Monza Shadows, RNS510, Dynaudio System, Fiscon Bluetooth, Front & Rear Park Sensors, ACC, Cruise Control, Winter Pack & Xenon Lights.

Offline Bingham67

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2013, 18:04 »
Thanks whats a good base wax to use and how do you apply it?

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2013, 18:32 »
Have a look on DW for waxes and how to apply.

Offline Bingham67

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2013, 18:43 »
Thanks seems everywhere sold out for Autosmart duet plus not sure on some sites any good alternative? seen Britemax clean max is good but its expensive in comparison.

Offline AaronMc

• Not said much yet
  • GTI Life..
« Reply #8 on: 14 October 2013, 18:54 »
Get it on eBay!

As a wax depends on colour if your looking for gloss too. But something like Vic's Concours, Collinite or Dodo Juice Supernatural are all Good!

Offline Pinky 1959

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2013, 14:53 »
You could always get a set of mats with the side bits slightly raised mud mats I think they are ,
I have a set and put them in the car when going to car rallies or muddy bits , They collect all (most of ) the small stones and crap that gets into the car .
Take them out quick hoover and done  , keeps the carpets cleaner .