Author Topic: Flash rust on brand new white Golf  (Read 7877 times)

Offline N3uR0

• Not said much yet
Flash rust on brand new white Golf
« on: 05 May 2012, 11:26 »
Hey all,

Hope you can help me, I picked up my Candy White Golf Match a week ago and when I came to wash it yesterday I noticed lots of orange rust-like spots randomly around the car, I have rung up my dealer and it appears to be flash rust which apparently isn't covered by warranty. Naturally I kicked off as only having it for 1 week and they are going to take it into bodywork to try and get rid of it. They said they will clean, polish and wax it again but do you think they will get rid of it and what might of caused it as the dealer is saying that it was checked once on the PDI and then when they did a full valet before I picked it up.

Offline dazzawest1987

• I live here
Re: Flash rust on brand new white Golf
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2012, 15:52 »
if it's brand new the dealer should be rectifying it under warranty. if they dont take pictures and get in touch with VW customer care. i dont know what flash rust is but i wouldnt of though its somthing that can be just polished out. i could be wrong though. failing that give the car back and find your next closest vw dealer and get one from there. its a new car so should be 100% right, it shouldnt have any bodywork imperfections

Offline Murrayedition35

• I live here
  • Edition 35 3dr Manual - Deep Black.
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2012, 16:31 »
Same here don't know what flash rust is, but I would be straight back to the dealer to get the bodywork sorted out....

Offline N3uR0

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2012, 18:11 »
Well when I went back to the dealer they had a folder of all paintwork imperfections to hand, and they showed me. I think I will take pictures but I think they will say that I didn't notice it when I took delivery so it must of been something I've driven into. We'll see what they can do with it anyway, I have tried a little polish on it and it seems to make it lighter so hopefully they have stronger stuff!

Offline Murrayedition35

• I live here
  • Edition 35 3dr Manual - Deep Black.
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2012, 19:15 »
Some dealers don't want to deal with the grief...keep at them..

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2012, 19:48 »
Post this in the mk6 section, a couple of people had the same problem with their candy white golfs and there was a topic started about the same problem, I can't remember the out come :undecided:
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2012, 19:49 »
Damn! That ain't good to here, google Flash rust and it shud tell you if it's able to be polished out....

And yeah 2nd that get on to vw cust service with proof surely a week old car with rust is just plain wrong and your dealer shud be bending over backwards to help...

Hope you get it sorted!
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline N3uR0

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2012, 20:18 »
I tried google but could only find topics on old cars and just general rust on old bangers, nothing on this 'flash rust' on top of the paintwork, its weird, I'll get some pics up for you all to see.

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2012, 22:18 »
DON'T let the dealer FCUK it up. Please, please, please, do it yourself. I assume by "flash rust" you mean industrial fallout, e.g. little bits of iron that have bonded to the paintwork and started rusting

You could clay the car - but the easiest option would be some Iron X

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/carpro-iron-x-500ml/prod_726.html

(also available at other places)

Clean your car, dry it off, spray that all over - I leave it 5-10 mins, then agitate it with a microfibre - and wash it off (smells awful, make sure you wash it out of all bodywork gaps, door shuts etc)

Problem resolved. Then get a good, durable wax on there (I suggest Collinite 476) to help prevent this happening in future

Again - don't let a clueless dealer try to remove it, god knows what they would do.............

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2012, 22:22 »
Btw my car was covered in it, I picked it up and asked them (the dealer) not the clean the car, so it was filthy. Mild clay wouldn't even touch it. After an emergency trip to a local detailing shop, Iron X got rid of it all. Followed by Tardis and then a quick clay, all was good. I've used Iron X for a long time, it's amazing stuff