Author Topic: Rain X  (Read 5939 times)

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Rain X
« on: 01 February 2010, 22:46 »
Has anyone used Rain X on their side windows and can comment on whether it's worth doing or not? my old mans got a Volvo V50 with water repelling side glass and it works a treat, was hoping to get a similar effect. I've read some bad reviews about it on the windscreen which i wouldn't do anyway.
If not can anyone recommend a decent product to try?
Thanks in advance.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline GOLF_STU

• I live here
  • THE_GIT
Re: Rain X
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2010, 22:58 »
i put it on every window apart from rear and have never had a problem and it works well on the side windows  :cool:

fear is temporary, regret lasts forever...
V TEC KICKED IN Y'ALL!!!

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2010, 23:02 »
thanks for that.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline jaydubveedub

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2010, 12:22 »
If you want that sort of product, then buy some Carlack 68 glass sealant. It's about £12 but lasts for ages.

It works in the same way as Rain X but is more effective and it lasts MUCH MUCH longer.

I use it on my windscreen and side windows. You will need to re-ally to windscreen every 2-3 months but it lasts up to 6 months on the side windows. Brilliant stuff.
2003 Passat 1.9 Sport TDI Wagon | Inky Blue | Lots of Wax

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2010, 12:59 »
If you want that sort of product, then buy some Carlack 68 glass sealant. It's about £12 but lasts for ages.

It works in the same way as Rain X but is more effective and it lasts MUCH MUCH longer.

I use it on my windscreen and side windows. You will need to re-ally to windscreen every 2-3 months but it lasts up to 6 months on the side windows. Brilliant stuff.

amen to that

yep... car lack is the one to be going for... its a bugger to put on but REALLY and i mean REALLY works... after application you don't need wipers on over 40mph!

I use it inside and out on all windows... repels dirt on the inside and helps with misting issues.

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2010, 13:19 »

amen to that

yep... car lack is the one to be going for... its a bugger to put on but REALLY and i mean REALLY works... after application you don't need wipers on over 40mph!

I use it inside and out on all windows... repels dirt on the inside and helps with misting issues.

glad this post has come up as ive been considering the carlack stuff for ages but wasnt sure if it would just be the same as rainX, my mate put some rainX on my front screen back in the autum and it was sh!te from the offset so i think i'll give the carlack a go:)
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline waxamomo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2010, 17:55 »
I've always used Carlack and it's brilliant stuff. I have however just taken delivery of some Gtechniq G3 and G4. Hopefully going to have a play over the weekend.

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2010, 23:07 »
I've always used Carlack and it's brilliant stuff. I have however just taken delivery of some Gtechniq G3 and G4. Hopefully going to have a play over the weekend.

sweet let us know how you get on with the Gtechniq,may tap you up for a sample if its any good.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2010, 23:52 »
mmm i always found rainx to be awesome! use it on the front side windows, side mirrors and windscreen, but it doesnt last very long and before you know it, you need to re apply it, but thats a 5 min job.

might have to give this car lack stuff a go if its that much better than rainx!

Offline Chris MKV

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2010, 18:26 »
I have also used rainex on all windows and mirrors and have never seen a problem with the windscreen so I'm not sure what other people's objection to it is.  THe windscreen wipers do seem to me to have an easier time on drizzle with the rain ex on. :smiley:

I have now a 2 in on rain ex cleaner and treater spray which seems fantastic as a cleaner and ads the slick finish to the glass at the same time - it definately doesn't last as well as the old style rain x though.
I've been a target for 'halfords spec' saxos for almost three years now!