Author Topic: engine bay cleaning tips.  (Read 6684 times)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
engine bay cleaning tips.
« on: 21 March 2009, 18:02 »
any tips and hits? gonna use autoglym engine cleaner spray all over the bay then jet wash then get my detailing brushes all over and get busy with them, then back to the jetwash. Any other things im missing?

what shall i cover up? alternator, battery and distribuitor?

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: engine bay cleaning tips.
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2009, 11:51 »
come on you scene guys must wash your engines once a week, surely you must be able to spare a hint or two.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2009, 11:58 »
come on you scene guys must wash your engines once a week, surely you must be able to spare a hint or two.

i've only washed my engine bay once (need to do it again) but you've covered the basics in your own post  :smiley:

just don't aim the pressure washer too close to the important electrical bits and you should be ok

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2009, 12:08 »
just don't aim the pressure washer too close to the important electrical bits and you should be ok

thats what i thought. perfect. Gonna start getting serious about cleaning my car, washed it the other day and it still have muck on it. Need to make a trip to halfords and get myself washing mitts, drying towels, polishers, chemical, clay, and other important thingys.

Need to get rid of the millions of swirl marks I have.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2009, 12:11 »

thats what i thought. perfect. Gonna start getting serious about cleaning my car, washed it the other day and it still have muck on it. Need to make a trip to halfords and get myself washing mitts, drying towels, polishers, chemical, clay, and other important thingys.

have a look at the online retailers mate - some of them do starter kits which will give you the key bits you need to get started plus you should get discount with most plus if you order today and they have it in stock you'll have everything by Wednesday at the latest  :cool:

e.g Elite Car Care - enter DW in the discount coupon box for 5% off :afro:

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2009, 12:26 »

have a look at the online retailers mate - some of them do starter kits which will give you the key bits you need to get started plus you should get discount with most plus if you order today and they have it in stock you'll have everything by Wednesday at the latest  :cool:

e.g Elite Car Care - enter DW in the discount coupon box for 5% off :afro:
You are a legend. cheers buddy!

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2009, 21:54 »
get the engine nice and warm, spray chosen product all over, allow to soak for 5/10 mins reaply in between so it doesnt dry out, start engine and spray off detergent, be carefull of your earth cable on the engine, alarm sounder box,coilpack,dizzy cap, alternator will be fine if youve got the engine running and you dont drown it.
close bonnet,leave engine running for 15/30 mins and it should be dry enough for you to spray some dressing on.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2009, 23:41 »
get the engine nice and warm, spray chosen product all over, allow to soak for 5/10 mins reaply in between so it doesnt dry out, start engine and spray off detergent, be carefull of your earth cable on the engine, alarm sounder box,coilpack,dizzy cap, alternator will be fine if youve got the engine running and you dont drown it.
close bonnet,leave engine running for 15/30 mins and it should be dry enough for you to spray some dressing on.
nice one. cheers dude. :afro:

Offline MrClifford

• Not said much yet
  • mk3 golf GTi 8v
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2009, 00:00 »
kharekatoh show us a pic of ur finished product :) gotta do mine soon, tis already pretty clean but!cant afford any equiptment at the mo so will have to do it next month!
coming soon ;)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2009, 00:20 »
kharekatoh show us a pic of ur finished product :) gotta do mine soon, tis already pretty clean but!cant afford any equiptment at the mo so will have to do it next month!
I'l do my very very best to remember. I'l try and do a before, middle and after shot. Wanna get the engine bay nice and clean and tidy. Im not into the show and shine business, but a clean, tidy and good looking engine is so much easier and pleasing to work on.