Author Topic: MK2 Buying Guide  (Read 56822 times)

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
MK2 Buying Guide
« on: 19 January 2011, 09:22 »
This question gets asked at least once a month, so I thought I would save everyone the massive trouble of having to use the search function by placing a sticky topic on it with a few threads from previous incarnations of the same topic in here.

So:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
Link 5
Matey-Matey guide - this turns up a suprising amount of times... :rolleyes:
Link 6
I shall add more to it, as I come across anything decent, and informative.

It's ok, you don't need to thank me.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2011, 20:41 by Agreeable Slick »

Offline sundaydriver

• I live here
Re: MK2 Buying Guide
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2011, 09:37 »
Thank you! :wink:

2012 Golf R, APR STAGE 2+, BCS power valve TB exhaust, loba HPFP, evoms intake, Rising blue, 19" Talladegas -BMW M2

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2011, 17:19 »
This Slick chap, all about the helpful these days. Must be the Yorkshire air or something.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2011, 18:22 »
Black Pudding!

Thom

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2011, 21:22 »
This Slick chap, all about the helpful these days. Must be the Yorkshire air or something.

You are just too busy jet setting to notice these days boss man. It makes me sad.

Offline speedycoolboy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2012, 08:36 »
I found this video on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TLbwJxZqtg

Offline m3vwg

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2013, 22:16 »
yey i own the silver one  :grin:

Offline Fozzy4018

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2015, 11:53 »
Hi there right just joined as I'm leaving the army soon and my dream has always been to own and drive a mk2 golf but being in Germany driving home on weekends my e90 335d m sport cuts it okay  :laugh: however I need some info reference 8v buying guide price range tuning etc please please help me out
Cheers !

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2015, 12:35 »
Hi there right just joined as I'm leaving the army soon and my dream has always been to own and drive a mk2 golf but being in Germany driving home on weekends my e90 335d m sport cuts it okay  :laugh: however I need some info reference 8v buying guide price range tuning etc please please help me out
Cheers !

There is loads of info on the net. But speaking from experience BUY ON BODYWORK. And be strict about it. I went and visited one, fell in love with it and bought it. 2 years down the line and I'm dealing with rust and other issues which are time consuming to sort out. The mechanics on an 8v are easy. And when I got the car I was a complete novice. Parts are cheap and easily available.

Prices are rising quite quickly as they become more viewed as modern classics rather than old sheds. 3-4k gets you a stunner. 2k should get you a nice daily without much to do on it. 1k will get you a high miler with work to do.

The 8v is not very tuneable. There are of course upgrades which can be done to improve the drive, like suspension and brakes. But you won't get too many more ponies out of the engine. Having said that my 195k miler still has plenty of pep and pulls beautifully.

I love mine, it is a rarely understood love, people constantly look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them what I drive, and I spend a lot keeping it on the road and "improving it". But I wouldn't change it.
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline Fozzy4018

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2015, 15:27 »
Thank you sir ! My bro had this mental 16valver when I was 15 man that thing left fed a bit of limiter bashing then he got a stupid little 1989 polo bread an put a 1.6abf 16v and oh my haha that thing was fun !! Know of any good websites ???