Author Topic: noise coming from pan sunroof area when s/r is shut  (Read 1438 times)

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
Sounds like different parts in that area kind of touch each other, noise disappears the moment I open or lift the sunroof.  I usually hear it when the road is uneven, not a problem when cruising in motorway or when the music is on - but hey, sometimes I love some peace and quiet.  Not extremely audible but niggling nevertheless.
Wife's: mk8 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr atlantic blue, DSG, Norfolk 17", pan s/r, leds
Now: mk7.5 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr tornado red, DSG, Singapore 17", pan s/r, leds
Before: mk6 GTI 5dr candy white, DSG, Monza Shadow 18", s/r, bi-Xenons, DCC
Even before that: mk5 GT 5dr tornado red, manual, s/r

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: noise coming from pan sunroof area when s/r is shut
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2019, 16:24 »
Perhaps the seals need lubrication? My window seals creak when they need doing, an application shuts them up for 18 months or so. They are being noisy now but with the lovely weather I'm having the windows open regularly so it's not such a problem.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2019, 10:38 »
Perhaps the seals need lubrication? My window seals creak when they need doing, an application shuts them up for 18 months or so. They are being noisy now but with the lovely weather I'm having the windows open regularly so it's not such a problem.

I think that's what mine needs as well. I also notice my power folding door mirrors squeak when the move. I think particularly on hot dry days

Offline Will2018

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2019, 14:07 »
I have the exact same niggle with my roof. As you say opening it slightly solves it. Asked VW to look at it when I was in for a service but they definitely forgot  :huh:

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2019, 15:10 »
A little spray of lube fixes mine. I use an Audi branded product which was supplied as part of service on a previous Audi TT I owned.

My pano roof was fine for a couple of years, then started to squeak when closed. Now I lube it as routine on the first major clean each year.
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2019, 16:40 »
A little spray of lube fixes mine. I use an Audi branded product which was supplied as part of service on a previous Audi TT I owned.

My pano roof was fine for a couple of years, then started to squeak when closed. Now I lube it as routine on the first major clean each year.

thanks.  for the purpose of not destroying the s/r, lube it where exactly? Like, everywhere or somewhere specifically?  Apologies for the noob question in advance  :laugh:
Wife's: mk8 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr atlantic blue, DSG, Norfolk 17", pan s/r, leds
Now: mk7.5 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr tornado red, DSG, Singapore 17", pan s/r, leds
Before: mk6 GTI 5dr candy white, DSG, Monza Shadow 18", s/r, bi-Xenons, DCC
Even before that: mk5 GT 5dr tornado red, manual, s/r

Offline Bengunn

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2019, 16:46 »
Mine creaks and groans also and drives me crazy.
It is far worse when the weather is hot, I assume due to expansion.
When open full or tilt it disappears.
Can I also suggest to those with this problem to slightly push the headlining above the windscreen. I discovered noises emanating from there sound as if it is the sunroof, so give that a try.
Unfortunately I have noises coming from both areas.
Getting the dealership to look at it again but all they do is smear that exceedingly expensive lube on it.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2019, 20:49 »
What lubricant are folks using?

I had an issue with creaking doors on a new BMW about 20 years ago - after replacing the seals the BMW technician (from BMW - not the garage) reckoned using car wash shampoo that contained wax caused the creaking on the seals and to wipe down with white spirit every now and then - it worked
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.