Author Topic: De-activating seat belt warning/ chime  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
De-activating seat belt warning/ chime
« on: 14 April 2014, 10:57 »
Hi,

Noticed that when driving along alone with driver's seat belt fastened, the seat belt warning re one of the other seats intermittently comes on.  The mechanic has shown me a plug underneath each of the front seats that can be removed to de-activate this.  There are 3 plugs under the front seats and the seat belt warning one is the rear most plug and has purple and brown cabling.

Not sure if the rear seats have seat belt warnings?

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
Re: De-activating seat belt warning/ chime
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2014, 12:52 »
Pretty sure rears don't have it, but at the end of the day its a safety feature it is annoying but could save your life i'd try an identify the fault personally,sounds like sensor/wiring

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2014, 13:45 »
As far as I know, removing that plug also means that the Airbag on that seat won't deploy in an accident as it thinks there is no-one there.

If you know someone with VCDS it would be worth investigating what is causing it.

I have also have had this happen if there is a heavy bag sitting on one of the seats.
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2014, 13:57 »
Yeah, heavy bags, shopping etc will set it off, this has happened to me on several occasions.  Have you had stuff on the front passenger seat when it's been pinging?  Warning chime is only on front seats.  I wouldn't deactivate it if it switches off the airbag.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2014, 14:06 »
Hi, If only front passenger seat, I think the weight of a mobile phone was enough to set it off.  The person who showed me how to unplug was the main dealer Master Technician who never mentioned airbags but who was nothing but professional so I'd be surprised if he overlooked a potential airbag link. Anyway, I've not switched anything off, was just shown how to do so. I said I'd monitor the sensitivity when getting the car back ( it's having the gearbox out).

Offline Stevie35

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2014, 15:26 »
This seatbelt bong can be de-activated via vagcom without affecting airbags.
Edition 35 3dr, Steel Grey, Manual, Sat Nav