Author Topic: VW golf TDI  (Read 5882 times)

Offline dramiel

• Just got here
VW golf TDI
« on: 07 December 2014, 08:07 »
Could anyone give me some help/advise please.
I have a vw golf 1.9 tdi  02 reg and it is ticking over rough, smokes a awful lot and smells really foul like unburnt fuel. When I first start it for the first 5-10 seconds it is fine. I changed the MAF sensor with a brand new one off ebay £30 but still the same problem. If I unplug the maf it ticks over fine and the smoke and unburnt fuel smell goes away. If I am in heavy traffic in 1st gear start and stop it judders but if I leave the maf unplugged it drives fine but seems down on engine power a little. When I first put the ignition on I can hear the fuel pump working....One other thing when I leave the maf plugged in even though it seems rough on idle and low revs when I get my foot down it drives superb and pulls like a trooper. I am now wondering if I wasted my money buying the new maf since the symptoms are just the same as the old maf. My friend at work suggested I need new injectors ???

I only know the very basics about car engines so any help or advise would be appreciated.

Offline Bellend

• I live here
Re: VW golf TDI
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2014, 14:27 »
Yes you wasted money on an eBay MAF.

Go get a genuine one for starters.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline dramiel

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2014, 16:48 »
Ok I will buy a genuine MAF from the main dealer..The MAF off ebay was brand new and I was just trying to save some cash..Thankyou for your advise.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2014, 21:47 »
Ebay Maf sensors are a waste of time, better to stick with genuine or Bosch

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2014, 19:04 »
ECP were the cheapest selling genuine Bosch ones, I bought one last month for my PD130 and it cost just over £60 once I'd got my part exchange funds back.