Author Topic: Can you drive with L plates on the M25?  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Jasikasisback

• I live here
Can you drive with L plates on the M25?
« on: 07 October 2016, 17:05 »
Searched the web...found articles that the government are considering this, but can't find if there are any restrictions in place on driving with L plates on the M25. This is of course with an experienced driver sitting next to the learner...

I don't want to get pulled over and have to explain myself so asking here..:) taking A roads is not an option as would take forever to get there..

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: Can you drive with L plates on the M25?
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2016, 17:19 »
No, provisional license holders are not allowed on a motorway, even with a experienced full license holder
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline Jasikasisback

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2016, 19:05 »
thanks for the reply.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2016, 22:17 »
Really!??????

Offline Jasikasisback

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2016, 21:54 »
I tried to find anything online where it says yes or no..but couldn't find it...problem is that when you go on some roads they are A roads that turn into a dual carriageway and become M/A roads then A roads... ..it is not like they warn you ahead of time and you have no way of knowing so that is why I asked...I don't see why you can't drive on M roads with a learner's as in my opinion they are easier to drive on than driving in the middle of London...when are you supposed to learn to drive on the Motorway...after you pass your test??But we have stayed off of them as advised above...guess there will be plenty of time to do so after the test..

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2016, 23:27 »
Yes you learn after you pass your test, there is a scheme called ' pass plus' which covers all this and more, it can also help to bring car insurance down

There is plenty of warnings of roads changing categories, I think maybe you need to look more closely for road signs.
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 03 November 2016, 13:17 »
The law is quite clear, no driving on motorways with a provisional licence. If you allowed learners on motorways, you could end up with people driving on motorways with only a couple of hours of experience.
I've driven with a learner on A roads like the A1 and A2, which are both dual carriage ways, which is allowed. When they turn into motorways like the "A1 (M)" and the M2, you have to swap drivers.
For example when driving south on the A1 towards London, it becomes a motorway just after Peterborough, but there are services at Peterborough, so you can pull off and swap drivers.
Driving on a dual carriageway is plenty for a learner to deal with without dealing getting onto a motorway. If they want experience of a 3 lane road before the test there are plenty of places to do that without being on a motorway.
If you want to drive "around" London with a learner, you'll have to head to the North/South Circular.