Author Topic: Another 1.8 KR 16v Non-Start (Fuel)  (Read 3878 times)

Offline ChristianGTI

• Just got here
Another 1.8 KR 16v Non-Start (Fuel)
« on: 22 February 2018, 10:34 »
I was very lucky to receive a phone call from my uncle before Christmas about a 1987 Jetta GTI that a man was selling with 83k miles, dry stored for 20 years but not started in nearly 15. I was told by the previous owners mechanic that it would only occasionally start but run very rough, and that it was definitely a fuel issue.

I changed all fluids and filters before trying anything but have also checked pretty much every part of the K-jet fuel system - metering head piston moves freely, plunger looks and feels right, injectors are all spraying nicely, even measured the fuel pressure when primed ('system control' pressure?) to be 70psi. Smoke tested and no air leaks, timing is definitely spot on and I'm getting good spark at each cylinder!

I'm tearing my hair out on this one after replacing the CSV and hoping that would sort it but no luck. Funny thing is when I had the CSV off and the gap into the inlet open, it started straight away and ran slightly rough until I plugged the gap with my finger and it just died straight away!

The next things I plan to check is the distributor cab for timing of the spark, ECU for any damage like burning on the board and all the coolant sensors at the side of the block. I've ordered a new ECU coolant sensor but it feels like I'm stabbing in the dark here, everything seems right to get it started at least and I can suss rough running from there! Any ideas or assistance would be much appreciated!

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
Re: Another 1.8 KR 16v Non-Start (Fuel)
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2018, 12:59 »
the ECU does not control the idle - its controlled by the ISV module which is tucked behind the centre console but with the ISV disconnected you should still be able to get the car up & running, though you will need to obviously keep on throttle to stop it stalling

all 3 coolant sensors on the side of the head are the same rating, though one is in the head which the other 2 are in the water jacket - you can switch the wiring around on any of them for testing purposes

you may also find the 5th injector is leaking, so you can disconnect that also for time being