Author Topic: 1.6 driver to 8v GTI Conversion Advice/Knowledge Needed  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Mk2Ed

• Just got here
Hi there, I've just joined the forum, although certainly not the first time I've visited! I have a 1991 mk2 1.6 driver with an engine that ran extremely hot (oops :shocked:)  and now has a fairly loud ticking noise. I have come to the decision that rather than spend the money on replacing what could be a pretty damaged engine, I could replace it with an 8v gti engine.  I've managed to source a PB 8v GTI engine and am wondering amongst other things whether this will fit the current gearbox on the car. Any help with this will be much appreciated!! Cheers,
Ed

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
Re: 1.6 driver to 8v GTI Conversion Advice/Knowledge Needed
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2017, 14:35 »
It will, the 1.6 and 1.8 engines are almost identical physically, many parts are for both. Not sure if the ratios would be slightly different internally on the gearbox, but from my limited knowledge a Driver is a GTI 8v minus the engine with fuel injection.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2018, 23:52 »
gti box has closer ratios. but it should still go better with the bigger engine in it, and the original box.

Offline Pwardy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2018, 16:08 »
Did you get the Digifant fuel pump to go with the PB?

I think you will need one of those too.  Fits under the boot floor.