Author Topic: .:R Spotting  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
.:R Spotting
« on: 29 April 2014, 12:45 »
Saw my first R on the road today. It was a pure white five door and was heading south on the A49 near the M56 junction. Anyone here?

The front double U's looked really menacing :evil:

Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: .:R Spotting
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2014, 13:21 »
I spotted one in Glasgow yesterday coming towards me. To be fair it was near the VW dealership so probably a demo. What stood out for me was the Lapiz blue more than aything else. It's much darker than the promo shots would have you believe. Didn't really notice the lights but we went past each other quite quickly.

Offline Wil

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2014, 13:37 »
They had a Lapiz blue stock car in the Aberdeen branch when I was deciding which to get. It looked absolutely epic with the pretoria wheels. My heart said to get an R but my head said GTI. Happy with my choice though but they're still lovely!!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2014, 13:57 »
I've not seen any dealer demo's about, unusually, but I did see a white 5 door in Exeter in early March so therefore it would have been one of the first registered.
I've not seen one since.
In all honesty I'd expect to see more of them than GTI's over the next couple of years going from the forum and road test opinions on cost (ignoring the list price and going more on the fact most buyers pay monthly and therefore there might not be that much £££ difference per month).
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2014, 16:31 »
Spotted a white R a few cars behind me on way home.  Someone around the other side my housing block has one as I've seen it parked up in their drive.  Double U lights look the mutts.
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2014, 17:58 »
Clever and very subtle design touch with the double U's as they "match" the quad exhausts on the back.
I think the R designers had OCD!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner