Author Topic: "Front assist" emergency braking  (Read 17899 times)

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
Re: "Front assist" emergency braking
« Reply #50 on: 09 June 2014, 13:16 »
I thought front assist only actually braked the car between speeds of 3 and 19mph?

I've only ever had it come on, beep and show the rather alarming red chevron graphic in the MFD, but never actually brake for me!

I've had it brake for me, and it was a lot higher than 19mph!  Horrible crunching noise as well.

under 20mph is not brake assist tech, or city braking

Dont know wtf happened when I wrote that it was supposed to say "only braking under 20mph is old brake assist tech or city braking", now it will break up to 120mph or summat like that never plan on finding out the upper limit lol
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline marnie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #51 on: 09 June 2014, 14:54 »
Perhaps someone can clear this up for me? I understood DSG cars use ACC from 0mph and manual cars use Front Assist from 0mph to 19mph. Then ACC from 20mph upwards. Are these two different systems?
Mk7 GTI 5 Dr

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #52 on: 09 June 2014, 14:57 »
Perhaps someone can clear this up for me? I understood DSG cars use ACC from 0mph and manual cars use Front Assist from 0mph to 19mph. Then ACC from 20mph upwards. Are these two different systems?

No, its just that on a manual its got a low point cut off, probably as youre likely to stall maybe. Its also likely that with vcds you can alter this range, but then i dont know what that would do to the emergency braking so i wont mess with it.

2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline mullermn

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #53 on: 09 June 2014, 16:32 »
The cutoff point is related to the rate that the engine is revving, if you manually drop down the gears as ACC slows you down it will go pretty low before it gives you the warning beep and tells you to take over.

Isn't there two types of brake warning? I thought at speed you could get a 'tap' on the brakes to draw your attention, but that's not the same thing as the slow speed braking (city braking) where the car will do a full emergency stop if required.